Author Topic: how big can a map be?  (Read 15378 times)

Offline GHS

how big can a map be?
« on: March 24, 2013, 02:22:39 pm »
I am mapping an arcade game that is a vertical shooter there is no levels just one long area from beginning to end.The map dimensions are, X= 416 and it's Y could go up to 16 to 19000 pixels. Is this to big for the site? should I cut the map in segments?

Offline Will

Re: how big can a map be?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 02:43:21 pm »
Does the game have noticeable and distinguishable checkpoints? If so, it might help to cut off the first map at the end of the checkpoint area then place the checkpoint area again in the next map till the next future checkpoint and so on. The problem with a long map like that it take quite a bit of loading time and it would take some scrolling to access and observe the desired place. Ask Terra about the NES Gradius game, there were no clear indications of the current stage to the next stage, it just continued after the boss without so much as a pause.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:44:51 pm »
Well, if the map is extremely wide or tall but very small in the other direction, you could keep the whole thing as a single map since its actually memory size wouldn't be that big. I've personally submitted a map for the NES that was 27200 pixels wide, but only 240 pixels tall.

However, if there are things on this map that could serve as breaks like the occasional bosses or barriers or whatever, it might be a good thing to split it after those points. I'd still put all the segments side-by-side in the same image though to show how they're all part of the same area.

*EDIT*

Will answered better then I did while I was writing my post. For Gradius (NES), the maps are always a whole number of screens in size. The automated scrolling would stop while fighting the boss and resume afterwards, and I split the stages right after the point where the scrolling would stop.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 03:03:42 pm by TerraEsperZ »
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline GHS

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:04:02 pm »
there are places in the map that you offload the POWs you collected on to helicopters. I think the in game map (shown when you die or beet the game) shows them as flag check points.

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:51:45 pm »
I mapped Spy Hunter and that has several maps that met the maximum height for Photoshop of 30,000 pixels by 240 wide.  The file size was only 145 KB.  The height of an image does not effect loading time at all.  It is just the file size that effects it.

I would call it personal preference if you think the map looks better broken up or not.  However there is no limit to height or width on this site.  More the limits of the program you use to create the image file.

Here is the Spy Hunter map that is 30,000 pixels tall:
http://www.nesmaps.com/maps/SpyHunter/SpyHunterArea07.html

Offline Maxim

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 02:51:42 am »
Some browsers can't show very tall (or wide) images, so you might choose to split it up to make sure anyone sees it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 04:36:56 am by Maxim »

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 08:19:19 am »
Yes, that is true.  I mapped out Super Metroid in one big map that is 16,896 x 14,336.  I know some browsers can't display it.  So I also saved it out in smaller chunks by area as well to ensure everyone would be able to see it.  Also the main file was around 14 megs, so the smaller chunks also would work well for people that just wanted to see one area in the game and not wait for the entire file to load.

Offline Zerker

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 04:25:50 pm »
I would say just go for it :). My Ultima 7 maps were 24576 x 24576. Using the "save file as" should work fine for anyone even if the browser can't display the full image.

Offline avalanch

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 10:35:28 am »
Some of your maps are massive Zerker.. I've tried to crush some of your ultima VII maps but pnggauntlet takes forever! ;)

Also here you go, here's some optimized images for your page https://www.zerker.ca/zzone/category/maps/ultima/

Click on the optimize images tab to grab them!
http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.zerker.ca/fzwOJYYZ
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:48:51 am by avalanch »