Author Topic: eishiya's Maps.  (Read 47478 times)

Offline eishiya

eishiya's Maps.
« on: April 08, 2013, 05:11:34 pm »
I've been mapping Magical Starsign for my own enjoyment/learning, but I noticed there was a request for it a long time ago, so I figured I'd post what I have so far, and update as I make more.

I do not have a WTW code, and as such there are choppy edges and occasional missing parts. Aside from the early maps (Will-o'-Wisp Academy, Spiny Mole areas, and Where the Stars Sleep, Space Police HQ), all of these are aligned to the grid, so if you'd like to study the tiles in this game, just overlay a grid of 16x16px squares on top of the images.

On to the pretties!

Will-o'-Wisp Academy (236KB)

Erd (1.2MB)
Erd: Kahve Ruins (141KB)
Erd: Where the Stars Sleep (55KB)
Erd: Mole Town Peatmoss (90KB)
Erd: Spiny Mole Hole (76KB)
Erd: Gorgonzola's Hole-a (37KB)
Erd: Stone Giant (390KB)

Cassia (Frozen) (1.1MB)
Cassia: Dragon Road (195KB)
Cassia (1.5MB)
Cassia: Ambergris Prep (46KB)
Cassia: Holy Water Pyramid (147KB)

Puffoon (1.1MB)
Puffoon: Space Police HQ (119KB)
Puffoon: Couscous Ruins (470KB)

Gren (2.5MB)
Gren: Holy Tree Yggsalad (280KB)

Razen (1.6MB)
Razen: Shishkebab Cavern Part 1 (210KB), Part 2 (182KB), Part 3 (296KB)
Razen: Capsicum Caverns (622KB)
Razen: Condimen Tower (134KB)

Nova (176KB)
Nova: Phunnel Pit (62KB)
Nova: King's Road (23KB)
Nova: Sparklin Palace (182KB)
Nova: Starway (73KB)

Shadra (712KB)
Shadra: Chromagar Cave (1.4MB)

That's it for the story areas! I'm still missing the optional Glissini Caves dungeon, and I'm still unsure if that one's worth mapping due to its repetitive, simple structure (a text list of possible enemies would be far more helpful to anyone tackling it than a map).
So, what do I do with these now? Although I've labelled the more complex areas and included the standard treasure chests, I think these are too rough for the site. They're missing some of the secret chests, and they're impractically large. Honestly, I don't even know how to tackle splitting some of these up into useful chunks, especially with the ladder-heavy dungeons.

Edit: I'm really not a walkthrough-map making type, I just like to study the pixel art. If anyone wants to take these maps and label them so that they're useful to players, feel free! Credit for the raw maps is not required.

June 2016 Edit: Replaced the broken ImageShack links with PostImage links. The new host has some occasional downtime, but at least it still exists!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:06:25 am by eishiya »

Offline Trop

Re: Magical Starsign (NDS) DONE! Now what?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:43:39 am »
 :P I can't believe I overlooked this.  I've taken this game down from the request listing.
First of all these are not too rough for the site we have far rougher maps.  Secondly they're not too big either, I've got much larger maps up myself.  If you really want to polish them more create a standardized system and apply it to each map.  A set of letters for connecting rooms, special borders for chests and contents.  Looking at what you have here you're all but done.

Offline eishiya

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 07:55:13 pm »
:P I can't believe I overlooked this.  I've taken this game down from the request listing.
First of all these are not too rough for the site we have far rougher maps.  Secondly they're not too big either, I've got much larger maps up myself.  If you really want to polish them more create a standardized system and apply it to each map.  A set of letters for connecting rooms, special borders for chests and contents.  Looking at what you have here you're all but done.
Whoops, didn't check this thread for a while! Busybusy, haven't even touched Magical Starsign since April or May.

I had hoped someone else would do the finalising stuff, as I'm too busy. I won't be able to do it myself for at least a year or two. That said, if no one else does it, I would like to do it once I'm done with my current commitments, and some notes on just what to include would be great.

Letters to show the non-obvious map connections, missing chests (particularly the "secret" chests, most of which I missed in my playthrough).

I don't think I could add walkthrough elements (directions, bestiaries, etc), as that requires a lot of time, and the game is somewhat non-linear, monster spawns change as the plot progresses, and there is a lot of backtracking as well. There's no "pretty" way to present walkthrough elements, and I feel like showing the chests, and perhaps key NPCs in the locations where they're first seen is the best that could be done.

Offline Trop

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 04:28:18 pm »
Wellllll.  I could put this in my to do list but my inbox is already overloaded.  We'll see how things are a couple of projects down the road.

Offline eishiya

Re: Eishiya's Maps: Magical Starsign (NDS) and Magical Vacation (GBA)
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 06:25:58 pm »
I took some time off from making assets for my own game to play some Magical Vacation for inspiration... and ended up making a few maps. As with MSS, I don't exactly have time to make a pretty walkthrough of these, or even to go back and map parts I skipped (not yet, anyway). If anyone else wants to map this game, go ahead! You're welcome to take the maps I've made, and I don't care whether I'm credited.

The early maps have some opened treasure chests without labels - those are ones I opened before I started mapping. Ideally I'll go back and get the info for them later. There are also some spirits missing here and there because I didn't meet the conditions for them.

Will O' Wisp Academy:
Not done.

Light Plane:
Mimoretto Forest (879KB)
Forest Cave (275KB)
Toruna Village (245KB)
Benakoncha Ruins (163KB)
Wakuti Village, Benakoncha Ruins Entrance & Exit, Sparrow Fields (725KB)
Remittsu Royal Palace Exterior (1.48MB)
Remittsu Royal Palace (902KB)
Ibense Rocks, Roche Road, Pappirisu Village, Gearava Village (1.84MB)
La Roche Tower (515KB)
Kido Monga (375KB)

Dark Plane:
Rehikafu Swamp, Ice Island (1.1MB)
Masarati Village (333KB)
Jera Wind Cave (369KB)
South Swamp, Tapioca Tea Village (720KB)
Riginio Jungle (524KB)
Kumuyamuto Desert (777KB)
Aquabit Castle (1.1MB)
(not done)

Edit: Replaced the broken ImageShack links with PostImage links. The new host has some occasional downtime, but at least it still exists!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:49:07 pm by eishiya »

Offline Trop

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 05:45:12 pm »
Picked this thing up and mapped the first two areas.  You did leave a lot of sprites out.  You mentioned event sprites but I'm not going to look for them since I can't understand a word said in the game anyway.  Once I'm done you can go back and re-add them if you want.  This is more or less easy mapping, I'll go as far as I can with it.

Offline Trop

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 01:26:16 pm »
I'm up to dark plane now.

Offline Trop

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 01:01:34 pm »
Heading into the enigma forest so I've gone through all your maps now and I'll start making my own.  I may do the plane of light and dark as just two huge maps.

Offline Trop

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 09:27:55 pm »
Finished the dark plane and I'm stopping here.  This project has gone on just too long.  I may rig up the light and dark planes and submit them.

Offline Trop

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 07:30:38 am »
Oops, hey Jon eishiya also deserves credit on the plane of Light and the Plane of Darkness maps.

Offline Trop

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 02:20:25 pm »
Here's will o wisp and the sprite tool box for anyone who wants to continue this project.

Offline eishiya

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 12:36:03 pm »
I'm so glad you went through and put them together! I don't have the heart to cover up the game's beautiful tiles with useful information. Thank you so much for your work, and for submitting them.

I will eventually go through more of Magical Vacation. Sorry for the slow going! Would you like me to notify you when I have more maps/when I finish?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:38:09 pm by eishiya »

Offline Trop

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 05:17:09 pm »
Well the plane of death and whatever is behind the sealed door at will o wisp are the only things remaining so once you have all the chunks just post them here like before and I'll do the rest.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 05:17:37 pm by Trop »

Offline eishiya

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 10:47:32 am »
Are the Magical Vacation maps that are up on the site now complete? I still haven't finished the game so I don't know xP

On an unrelated note: I wonder if anyone wants to map Summon Night: Swordcraft Story. I've made raw maps of most of the game, but there hasn't been a request for it and I have no plans to detail the maps with loot, etc myself. Should I just post the maps here anyway, in the hopes that someone planning to map that game will do a search and find this thread?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:25:46 pm by eishiya »

Offline Trop

Re: Eishiya's Raw Maps: Magical Starsign (NDS) and Magical Vacation (GBA)
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 08:57:35 am »
No they're not complete.  I still need you to make all the maps for the Plane of Death so I can mark them up.

For Summon Night either submit the maps to Jon or make a new thread about it.