Author Topic: Incomplete Genesis Games List  (Read 16866 times)

Offline Zetta

Incomplete Genesis Games List
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:53:44 pm »
Not too long ago, I've read all of Jon Leung's famous NES/SNES/Gameboy ATLAS series, chronicling the status and percent completion of all of the major NES/SNES/GameBoy games either requested or started already. Seeing how insanely popular and widely successful those game map/atlas projects were, I wanted to get some momentum going on the Sega console game maps, and get some much needed attention focused back on them.

Starting with the famous 16-Bit Genesis game-maps series, I want to point out that the following sets of existing Genesis game maps are thus far ...... INCOMPLETE.

Altered Beast

Battletoads

Contra: Hard Corps

Demolition Man

Ghouls & Ghosts

Greendog

James Bond: The Duel

Jungle Strike

Langrisser Hikari II (J)

Magical Hat no Buttobi Turbo! Daibouken (J)

Rocket Knight Adventures

Rolo to the Rescue

Streets of Rage 2

Sword of Vermilion

Toki

Let's all work together and try to finish off as many of these Genesis mapsets as possible. Thank you all.  ;)

[EDIT]: Removed Scooby-Doo Mystery & Comix Zpne from the list, since they have been completed. Thanks for pointing that out, Jon & Will. ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:34:49 pm by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Genesis Game Atlas (a list of incomplete Genesis game maps)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:33:44 am »
I thought Comix Zone was complete.  It isn't?

Offline Will

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 08:48:31 am »
That goes for Scooby-Doo Mystery also.

Offline Zetta

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 01:52:15 pm »
Wait a second...... so ComiX Zone was only 3 episodes long? Well, I be darned. Thanks Jon Leung.

And thanks Will for pointing out that Scooby Doo has been finished as well. The main list up on top has been edited. Thanks, guys. ;)

ChesterCheatah1

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 04:56:20 pm »
That's not really a continuation of the NES Game Atlas or similar listings...just looks like a Genesis wish list...no different than any bunch of requests...

Offline Zetta

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 05:08:06 pm »
Actually these games already exist on this v.g. mapping site, but they're the only ones that are NOT 100% COMPLETE like the rest of the existing Genesis games mapped on this site.

So, I fail to see how this is a request or new-game wish-list.
 :-\   ???

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 05:53:12 pm »
I think what Chester is getting at is, my topics covering a "Super NES Game Atlas" and "Game Boy Game Atlas" were "continuations" of the first Nintendo Power Player's Guide, a book actually called the "NES Game Atlas".  Those topics were organized mass-requests which continued the same game series covered in the original book (part of the inspiration for the site as a whole).

I see that Will Mallia also made a similar topic called the "Master System/Game Gear Game Atlas", along the same lines of tackling specific series that those platforms are known for, though obviously different than those covered on the Nintendo platforms.

I also think it would be great to see these Genesis games that you've mentioned be completed, nothing wrong with that, but the title of the topic is a little misleading for anyone who remembers the original book, or expects this to be like the other similarly-named topics.  Maybe consider renaming it to something else?

Offline Will

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 10:26:27 pm »
It would be a Genesis Game Atlas if had the most popular and notable games series selection. There are six Sonic games, three Shining Force games, two Wonder Boy games, three Phantasy Star games (excluding the eight text-adventure games), three Sega of Japan Disney games ("Castle of Illusion", "World of Illusion" and "Quackshot"), three Shinobi games, one Alex Kidd game and three Golden Axe games. I'll get around to creating that topic after the SMS and Game Gear Atlas has had its full completion.

Offline Zetta

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 12:29:29 pm »
My bad. Sorry for all of the confusion regarding my misuse of the term 'Atlas' in my first post and the topic title.

I should have renamed the subject to read as 'Incomplete Genesis Games List.' BTW, I know you currently have a hell of a lot on your plate Will but I really can't wait to see your Genesis game atlas project with all of the popular series like Shining Force and Sonic and Golden Axe included, once you finally can get around to it. Don't forget to include Vector Man 1 & 2 to that atlas as well.  ;)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Incomplete Genesis Games List
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 12:46:59 pm »
I changed the topic title for you, no worries.

When people think of retro console games, they tend to think of NES, Genesis, and Super NES.  Those always seem to come up as the top three.  You see things like retro consoles made to play cartridges from those three platforms, for example.

Yet here on VGMaps, the NES and Super NES have consistently had the most popular pages, and while the amount of Genesis maps we have is nothing to scoff at, it's never quite as close to the Nintendo consoles' amount of maps as I imagine it could be.  There seem to be a lot of Nintendo fans here (not that I've mapped much at all, but I am one of them too), but Sega should get more love.  Perhaps there are technical issues too (whatever features are available in emulators, etc.).  Though I guess it's easy for me to simply talk about it...

Will, since you already seem inclined to do it, maybe you could make your "Genesis Game Atlas" topic anyway, without necessarily waiting for the Master System/Game Gear one to finish.  It would help draw attention to the Genesis atlas a bit more, and especially to fulfill the series it's known for.

(Oooh...I'd like to see the Sonic The Hedgehog "trilogy", along with Sonic & Knuckles and how the "Lock-On" alters past games' maps.)

Back to this topic...you could also try messaging the mappers that started mapping these games, to see if they can, or wish, to complete them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:50:37 pm by JonLeung »

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 02:29:58 pm »
I definitely want to finish mapping Ristar (it's currently sitting at about 50% completed) and Contra: Hard Corps someday. Of course, I say that about a lot of games I've started mapping, but those two have a special place in my heart and are definitely among my favourite Genesis games.

That said, I'm currently on a break from mapping (I'd been burning myself out for the past few months) but once I'm back in a few weeks, I really should try and finish at least Ristar. That game is way too beautiful looking and sounding to remain ignored any longer.
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline BumFengShui

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 01:05:52 pm »
Yet here on VGMaps, the NES and Super NES have consistently had the most popular pages, and while the amount of Genesis maps we have is nothing to scoff at, it's never quite as close to the Nintendo consoles' amount of maps as I imagine it could be.  There seem to be a lot of Nintendo fans here (not that I've mapped much at all, but I am one of them too), but Sega should get more love.  Perhaps there are technical issues too (whatever features are available in emulators, etc.).  Though I guess it's easy for me to simply talk about it...

I think Aladdin is missing a few maps aswell.

For me personally it's the emulators that hinder genesis mapping. I'm currently using gens_kmod_maxim_003 (which I believe I got from a thread here) & while I hate almost everything about it, I haven't come across another that can change the background color. It's a necessary feature for me as I map everything in layers aswell as ripping multiple sprites for making enemy & item stat charts

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 07:44:09 pm »
So this is basically about games for the Genesis, that have SOME maps, but not all, right?

Have all the Sonic games been done, in full?

There's also Micro Machines '96, and Micro Machines Military, I think. The latter not having any at all.