Author Topic: Castlevania: Harmony Of Dissonance (GBA)  (Read 64422 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Castlevania: Harmony Of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2006, 09:15:22 pm »
Man, I keep finding and correcting graphical mistakes. I've already made corrections in one Clock Tower (as seen in a previous post) and now, I've replaced a missing tile in the Chapel and corrected a messed up tile in the Sky Walkway (of course, it's easy to spot an error in an area when you can compare it to a nearly identical copy).

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2006, 04:36:00 pm »
I guess I never replied when you had emailed that to me, did I?

It looks great.  Really not much else I can say to help.  I'm sure that when you correct everything that you can find, and have the two separate castles fully complete, everyone will absolutely love them.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2006, 08:37:22 pm »
Sky Walkway B:

User posted image

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2006, 03:25:30 pm »
Chapel Of Dissonance B:

User posted image

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2006, 09:45:06 pm »
Castle Top Floor A:

User posted image

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2006, 10:16:06 am »
I am playing this game on my GBA at the moment whenever I've got some free time in the evenings (or early evenings that is, because I need sunlight to see the screen clearly) - I bought the Castlevania doublepack some weeks ago. Seeing those things in action is great when you get reminded of here - for example the moving 3D tower in the background :)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2006, 07:16:23 pm »
It's been a while since I've had enough time to work on this.

Castle Treasury A:

User posted image

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2007, 11:14:45 am »
After several months without progress, some new development.

Zeric recently emailed me that he's finished mapping the whole game, and just as I promised in my initial post, I'll let him have the honor of submitting the maps to the site since he not only started before me (thereby making a bit of a thief for "stealing" the project away from him) but most importantly, he finished his - unlike me. Hopefully that will earn him a "Map Of The Month" award by virtue of pretty much being the first pixel-perfect map of an entire Castleroid game. Good job Zeric, and I'm looking foward to seeing the result!

Incidently, I'll most likely finish this sometimes this year, but will only post here if I want opinions or criticisms, as I don't want to invite comparison between my work and Zeric's.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2007, 07:02:23 pm »
Zeric has sent them in to me.  Whoa.  Well, he has to resend the entire Castle A, but Castle B is a whopping ten megabyte .PNG!  Even if he didn't run PNGGauntlet on it and it manages to shave a fraction off, it could still be the one of the biggest maps ever in filesize.  And the dimensions are certainly high up there too...15136 pixels by 7632!  The EarthBound Zero overworld map may be larger, but there's certainly more stuff going on in Dracula's Castle.  I am impressed.

I didn't even honour a Castlevania game for Hallowe'en last year, but even if I did, I really should have these games up for other months too, besides just October.  Trying to tie in something to the month thematically would just take too long to recognize all the Castlevania maps...the first two games were honoured but so should most of the series, including maps of Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, Bloodlines, Dracula X, Symphony Of The Night (when that's done), Harmony Of Dissonance...and the Game Boy games, too.  Heck, that's a great deal of the series already.  It's not hard to honour them all eventually, but it's tricky to do it while they're still relevant (ie. not too old and the creators are still hanging around) but I can't have them every other month, either.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2007, 08:01:56 pm »
Can't wait to see it myself (and inevitably see for myself how superior it is to mine). I wonder if Irfanview will even be able to open it at full size, as I remember it grinding to a stop before crashing when trying to view that Earthbound Zero über-map.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2007, 10:17:36 am »
Well, they're up, finally.  TWO castles of Dracula, ready to crash your browser!  Zeric = awesome.

Yeah, I thought it was worthy of a large news post.  And I mentioned the other fully-mapped Castlevania games, too.

Now I'll get back to bugging Revned and others about Symphony Of The Night, though Revned in particular has been really inactive lately.  Must be exams.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2007, 07:17:48 pm »
Wow, impressive, though from working on mine so much, I don't have much surprise looking at them. Thankfully, mine don't really suffer in comparison to Zeric's work, as they look pretty much identical except for a few unimportant details.

I wonder if I should try and continue Circle Of The Moon once Sonic CD is finished. They looked really good and very different from these since the game was done by a different team at Konami. I do remember how nightmarish removing the parallax backgrounds was though, unlike "Harmony Of Dissonance" and "Aria Of Sorrow".

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2007, 09:28:40 pm »
I don't even want to attempt to open that huge map on my computer...

I'm curious as to how this compares with other Metroid-style games in terms of map squares.

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2007, 07:29:51 am »
Someone mentioned that they couldn't open it.

I reuploaded Castle A and as we speak Castle B is being reuploaded, but most likely I think the .PNGs are too large in filesize for some browsers/computers to handle.

The EarthBound Zero map is viewable for more people, probably because the filesize is only about a third of a castle, despite having a larger image area.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2007, 08:09:28 am »
File size shouldn't matter unless the program you are using has a hard coded file size limit.  The problem is generally image area.