Author Topic: 2016/06: WarCraft: Orcs & Humans (PC) - Will Mallia  (Read 15549 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2016/06: WarCraft: Orcs & Humans (PC) - Will Mallia
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:57:30 pm »

For this month's "Maps Of The Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Will Mallia's WarCraft: Orcs & Humans (PC) maps.

Blackhand the Destroyer has commanded the Orc Horde to attack the Human Kingdom of Azeroth.  Will you help the humans defend themselves from the orcs?  Or will you assist the orcs and drive the humans into Lordaeron?

The original WarCraft game is a real-time strategy game.  Playing as either the orcs or the humans, you manage resources, build structures and train units to create an army to defeat the opposing side.  Each side faces twelve scenarios.  This may be a short and simple story but keep in mind this is the original game, released a whole decade before the neverending saga of the MMORPG, World Of WarCraft, had even begun.

Being in real-time, knowing the terrain is essential.  While you are building your army, so is the opposition, and so knowing the locations of and best routes to resources or the enemy settlement will give you an edge.  And Will does give us that edge - Will Mallia, that is, a proficient VGMaps contributor who has brought us maps of one of the most quintessential PC games of the 1990s.

So to recognize the effort put into mapping all the battlefields of Azeroth, Will Mallia's WarCraft: Orcs & Humans (PC) maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps Of The Month for June 2016.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 08:30:47 am by JonLeung »

Offline Will

Re: 2016/06: WarCraft: Orcs & Humans - Will Mallia
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 02:03:16 am »
The first Warcraft game I was brought up with was Reign of Chaos. My favourite scenarios in most strategy games are the Adventure Scenarios which consist of a limited number of units and no structures, resources or peasants/peons to replenish your army. They are quite challenging but worth winning. My ideal strategy to keeping the enemy at bay was have a line of five footmen/grunts at the front of a bridge or small gap with five archers/spearmen right behind them (with three to five catapults behind them if available). It's a pity that Warcraft Adventures was never released commercially, it seemed like one of the best adventure games for it's time next to the Curse of Monkey Island. I'm quite excited to see the upcoming movie which judging by the trailer looks like the first three games together in one plot. It was a pleasure mapping all 24 scenarios of the first game and serves as a memorable reminder of Warcraft's beginnings.

Offline mechaskrom

Re: 2016/06: WarCraft: Orcs & Humans - Will Mallia
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 04:41:26 pm »
My ideal strategy to keeping the enemy at bay was have a line of five footmen/grunts at the front of a bridge or small gap with five archers/spearmen right behind them (with three to five catapults behind them if available).

Pretty much my strategy to and almost the only way to beat the computer player. And to attack you moved these groups near the target and used a bait to lure only a few units to their death.  This defensive strategy made the first warcraft feel very unique and interesting. Very different from other real-time strategy games I have played. The control is a bit clunky, but this is still my favorite warcraft game and it is wonderful to see maps for it. Congratulations Will and thank you.
Some tools and other stuff I've made:
https://github.com/mechaskrom

Offline Bentjudges

2016/06 WarCraft Orcs Humans PC Will Mallia
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 03:53:15 am »
Had you had the Warcraft series, youd never have gone under.

Offline vorpal86

Re: 2016/06: WarCraft: Orcs & Humans (PC) - Will Mallia
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 10:02:57 am »
Congrats Will!

This game series is/was still pretty popular. Sometimes you can find this game and one or some of the others at a retail store. This series has had the longest Retail store shelf life than any other game I can ever think of. I never really played much of this one but It was always fun. Same with Starcraft. I never really had the patience for these types of games but this one wasn't too bad.