Author Topic: [Revival]: Wario, Micro Machines etc. maps.  (Read 37108 times)

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

[Revival]: Wario, Micro Machines etc. maps.
« on: October 09, 2006, 03:29:47 pm »
I'll just be blunt (ish) this time.

Basically, I'd like maps from any Wario (Land) game (2 to 4, since 1 (SML3) has already been done)), any of the Genesis/SNES Micro Machines maps (i.e. 1, 2 and '96), and if possible, V3 (a.k.a. '64 on the N64), as well as Donkey Kong Land/Country Maps (that haven't been done, obviously) - perhaps, you could possibly make 'map screen maps' for DKL better than the ones I made. (They're not crap exactly, but they do have the odd mistake now and again, e.g. 'Nautlius Chase' instead of 'Nautilus Chase', although, and they could generally be much better, IMO.

RE: [Revival]: Wario, Micro Machines etc. maps.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 03:53:46 am »
If there's no reply by October 30th (that's 3 weeks from the start of this topic, i.e. 2 weeks from now), I'll close this.

Offline mephea

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 06:32:32 am »
i have a wario land game planned for a future project, but it isn't on my plate, hell it isn't even on the table.  it's still in the grocery bag out in the car :P

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 07:39:18 am »
You don't have to close it if it doesn't get replies...

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 01:39:33 pm »
I am really interested in mapping a Donkey Kong Land/Country game, but because of limited time (at the moment very limited) I don't think I would get to that before 2008 because of ongoing projects and some already planned ones for doing afterwards. It all can change easily, but I just do not want to promise anything I cannot adhere to.

But yeah, there's no need to close a topic because of no replies. I think we regulars all have read the topic and measured if any of the proposed games might be a possibility for a future project but when the time until then is still so far in the future, I do not always see a reason in telling. Because that might turn off someone who would have wanted to map the game much earlier.

Offline Revned

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 01:43:58 pm »
I tried the first stage of DKC once, and let me warn you in advance, it's nigh impossible without hacking the ROM or something. There are way too many layers to deal with, and they all seem to share colors.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 05:53:06 pm »
Why don't you just turn the extra layers off?

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 06:14:00 pm »
I think it has more to do with the mapper's satisfaction with making a good-looking map. I know that there are several games I would have liked to map, but didn't because there was no manageable way to do the parallax background correctly. Knowing Revned, that's certainly part of the answer right there.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 01:43:42 am »
Well, since the DKC ones seem quite hard, how about just doing the Game Boy games?

Offline Revned

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 01:09:48 pm »
I, for one, couldn't stand the Donkey Kong Land games.

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 01:50:20 am »
Do you mean mapping the games or can't you stand the games themselves.

Offline Revned

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 08:39:34 am »
The games themselves. I got one when I was about 7, because I loved DKC so much. I found it very hard to enjoy. The music was boring, the graphics were pretty bad, and the stages just seemed annoying.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 09:22:38 am »
I'm guessing the Super Mario Land games and the Donkey Kong Land games were made by different teams than Super Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong Country.

Not that handheld games are bad.  Just some of them.  Thankfully Link's Awakening was really good and Kirby was born on the Game Boy and Pok?mon has its main games on handhelds which are better than any of the console games, but Super Mario Land and Donkey Kong Land...not so hot.  

I've been meaning to give Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins a shot at least once, though, so that I can say that I've played and finished all the Mario platforming games.

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 02:03:40 pm »
I know the music in DKC was composed by David Wise and Eveline Fischer or something, but the DKL music was composed by the same person who composed the music for games such as Goldeneye, TimeSplitters, and I think Perfect Dark, i.e. Graeme Norgate. I don't know about the actual designers though. Ditto Super Mario Land/Bros.

Offline mephea

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 04:26:51 pm »
SML 2 was really awesome jon, you're cheatin yourself out of a good game!