Author Topic: Mega Man Maps  (Read 576485 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Mega Man Maps
« Reply #330 on: December 09, 2008, 10:04:39 pm »
A bit of a late update...as in late in the day...but I got Revned's revised Mega Man II up just now.  :)

Offline Rew

« Reply #331 on: December 11, 2008, 02:33:23 pm »
Hey! It's been a while since I've been on this board. Yes, I'm loving the Revned revisions so far. I've long thought that someone should take the Game Boy MM maps and consistentify all of them, as well as the Super NES MMX maps, etc.

But maybe I'm just picky. =P

---

"So this is what it's like..."

- Spark Mandrill
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #332 on: December 11, 2008, 03:27:49 pm »
Heh. If we really wanted all of those maps now  we'd just combine Will Malia and Revned into one super-mapper (capable of mapping 100 levels in a single bound). :P

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #333 on: December 11, 2008, 05:44:02 pm »
If I had the time, I'd love to do all five Game Boy games and include all the enemies, but that's a big *if*...

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #334 on: December 11, 2008, 08:19:07 pm »
RT 55J Said:
Heh. If we really wanted all of those maps now  we'd just combine Will Malia and Revned into one super-mapper (capable of mapping 100 levels in a single bound). :P

Well thanks, but I can't map nearly as fast/much as he can...

Offline Revned

« Reply #335 on: December 13, 2008, 12:49:31 pm »
Since everyone knows that mapping is a wise way to spend your time during finals, I've already finished and submitted Mega Man V.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but a couple of Geminiman's maps had some odd palette problems. One of them, for example, had sprites that are actually different from the background shown with the same colors. I'm not sure how that happened.

Also, there are a couple places where it might look like I made synchronization errors with rotating objects. I didn't (knock on wood). I just showed them differently if they're rotating clockwise vs. counterclockwise (anticlockwise for all you non-Americans).

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #336 on: December 13, 2008, 06:34:06 pm »
I've put up Revned's revised Mega Man V maps.  I look forward to the possible revision of Mega Man VI, though don't sacrifice your studying time to do it, Revned!

In the "Robot Master rematch" in Mega Man V, I'm a little surprised they're back in their original rooms.  Isn't that out of the ordinary?

Offline Revned

« Reply #337 on: December 13, 2008, 07:18:49 pm »
Indeed, it's rather disappointing. I liked it better the original way.

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #338 on: December 13, 2008, 08:42:25 pm »
RT 55J Said:
All of them are missing the leftmost 8 columns of pixels, and most of them are missing the top and bottom 8 rows of pixels. Also, none of them have fancy white borders & spacing or title cards.

I don't know of any way to get MegaRockMan 3, 4, 5, or 6 to display the leftmost 8 pixels.

Also, I actually duplicated a column of pixels in BlizzardMan's stage because I thought it best reflected how the game behaved in frame-advance mode.  If anyone has any ideas on how to straighten up that submarine area, I'm open to suggestions.

Finally, I switched palettes after the first four maps I made because I heard this other palette was more accurate.  But now I don't know for sure.  Can anyone direct me to any experts on which palette is "best" for mapping NES games?

Offline Revned

« Reply #339 on: December 13, 2008, 10:49:19 pm »
There isn't a way to get them to show up normally. I used a level editor alongside my emulator to get the leftmost column of tiles.

If you're referring to the corrupted rows (not columns) of pixels in the submarine section, that happens in Mega Man 3-6 whenever there are large animations (bosses or the stage itself). I have to manually fix them.

As for palettes, there isn't a "best" one. It's not plain old RGB, so there's some interpretation involved. I just used the one labeled as NTSC on Wikipedia and made a couple of minor tweaks.

I haven't really have any issues replacing other people's maps so far, because mine have been more complete and more polished, but yours I'm not so sure about. Yours all have enemies, so I don't want to just get rid of them. I was going to mention this to Jon, but I think it would be best if he leaves both yours and mine up (once they're finished).

In other news, I found the raw level data in a Mega Man 9 dump. It isn't of much use without the properly ordered tiles (not to mention palettes), but I'll keep digging.

Offline marioman

« Reply #340 on: December 14, 2008, 12:02:33 pm »
Thanks for the new maps Revned.  As usual, they look great.

FYI, original tile data for MM9 can be found here.

Offline Revned

« Reply #341 on: December 14, 2008, 01:06:24 pm »
Thanks, but that's not what I need. I know where in the files the tiles are stored, but I have yet to find out how the 16x16 tiles are formed from the 8x8 sub-tiles.

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #342 on: December 14, 2008, 09:15:02 pm »
Oh, okay, I never thought to look for a level editor.

I don't see why we need two almost identical sets of maps, though.  Maybe we can collaborate on a new set of maps somehow.

Offline Revned

« Reply #343 on: December 15, 2008, 11:50:40 am »
Sorry, it's a little late for that. I've finished most of the robot master stages already.

I wanted to keep yours because they have merit themselves. So far, yours have been the highest quality of the ones I've replaced. I hate to seem like I'm barging in and invalidating people's hard work...

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #344 on: December 15, 2008, 05:59:38 pm »
Yeah, why are you invalidating people's hard work, anyway?  Is there really that much that needed to be changed?

(I'll admit it now, I had some of the Mr. X stages mapped out before I checked and saw you had already submitted them.)