Author Topic: Super Paper Mario (Wii)  (Read 9375 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Super Paper Mario (Wii)
« on: April 12, 2007, 09:59:47 pm »
I've only just found out about this awesome game, and it makes me mad I'm saving money for a trip in France and another one in China next year or else this in addition to other existing games might just have made me buy a Wii.

Anyway, from the previews I've seen, this game kinda follows the previous Paper Mario games but this one is more of a platformer rather than an RPG (though it still keeps things like items and XP). The coolest thing is Mario's ability to switch from 2D to 3D and thus see the world from a completely different angle, showing things that were previously hidden. It's though to explain, and you really need to see videos to understand.

Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=super+paper+mario&search=Search

For example, in one video, Mario's running up a hill on which giant round Twomps are rolling down.  It might seem hard if not impossible to avoid them by jumping but *surprise*! Switch into 3D and you realize that the Twomps are really thin while the slope is quite large, and you can just walk around them!

(Incidently, it reminded me of a cool super-power I imagined once after finding out about Tesseracts and reading an article about a hypothetical four-dimensional world. Like Paper Mario, the guy would be able to switch into a higher-dimensional existence and thus be able to see things and move/act in ways impossible before, although how exactly our world would look from such a point of view is anyone's guess).

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

RE: Super Paper Mario (Wii)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 01:55:24 pm »
Super Paper Wario???  I haven't heard about that one...

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 01:59:23 pm »
That's the second time I mispell a title... You would have guessed that it's supposed to be "Super Paper Mario". Seriously, I'm starting to think someone's playing a prank on me, as "W" and "M" aren't anywhere near each other on a standard keyboard.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 05:59:39 pm »
Virtual Console releases have been keeping me busy on the Wii (I recently played A Link To The Past in one day with zero losses and zero saves) but I do want a new Wii game to play.  And not another mini-game collection, either.  :P

I always thought you didn't bother to keep your eyes and ears open to new releases, Terra.  You often struck me as one of those "retro-only" types...people here in general, actually, hence the very few topics about new games around here...

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 05:42:20 pm »
Well, I've always had a soft spot for the VGA graphical adventure era on the PC, and everything from the NES to the GBA. I started losing interests in new games when everything went 3D and started looking the same, with the exception from early games that looked cartoony or the occasional game that manages to show some visual style despite being 3D. Besides, Super Paper Mario looks and feels like an old-school Mario game, so that happens to be right up my alley :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 12:41:04 pm »
Super Paper Mario has some solid reviews all around.  Apparently the flipping is cool and the humour is incrdible.  But it's kind of short and not really challenging.  So I would probably rent it, like almost everything else I play, but I would certainly be tempted to buy my own copy the next time I'm in a game store looking for Pok?mon Diamond/Pearl.

I do want to bulk up my Wii collection, which is really only Zelda and Wii Sports (but that comes with it) and six VC games.  Pathetic!