Author Topic: Super Mario World stages that play themselves (via Joystiq)  (Read 10163 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Super Mario World stages that play themselves (via Joystiq)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 10:04:41 pm »
I've only checked a few so far but it's really impressive. I can't fathom how long it must have taken using trial and error to make those levels in such a way as to play themselves 8o

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 07:55:20 am »
There are cool, but there's not much randomness in platform games, so they are fairly predictable.  I imagine it still takes a lot of time to put one together though.  I liked the first one the best because I think it made most use of complex timings.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 12:01:33 pm »
I like the Fortress ones which have bosses.  The Ghost House one was neat too, but probably required the player to at least press down on the pipe and Y to hold the shell.

I'm not as fond of the ones that rely heavily on custom objects.  Though I'm sure from a hacker's persepctive it's neat to program things like the Mario/Luigi switching blocks.

It's kind of like The Incredible Machine, but using the physics inherent in Super Mario World.  I've seen domino rallies in one of the Elder Scrolls games so I guess this is a more oldschool version of one.  Sprite physics are cool.

I've done some acrobatics, some accidental, in River City Ransom that are kind of neat.  Like riding on a tire (previously thrown against a wall and then I jump on it) while carrying a box that the other player jumped on from a higher ledge while holding a baddie he beat up.  o_0

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 02:35:30 pm »
I've always been fascinated by the concept of Rube Goldberg machines, i.e. complicated processes that accomplish simple tasks, or in this case, overly complicated levels designed to bring the player's character from the start to the end with next to zero interaction from the player.

Incredible Machines was a great game that used this principle; I wish I had played the sequel, Incredible Toons.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 03:54:12 pm »
I'll have to look it up again, but there's a more recent computer game that uses the same principles as The Incredible Machine but is in 3D with a more complex (perhaps more accurate) physics engine.  I'd fiddle with that for a while too.

It's interesting how much is put into the physics of Super Mario World.  Like the inertia and such.  I remember someone at Nintendo saying that many game concepts begin with how they want things (such as blocks) to interact, and then they build a game from there.  (Kind of like how the numerous Marios in the Super Mario 128 demo led to the Pikmin and the spherical test area turned into planets in Super Mario Galaxy.)

Offline StarFighters76

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 04:17:30 pm »
Interesting videos, strange looking stages though O_o

---

Creator of over 570 maps on GameFAQs. ^_^
Creator of over 4,300 maps on GameFAQs!