Author Topic: If I borrow a PS2, what games should I play?  (Read 13657 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
If I borrow a PS2, what games should I play?
« on: June 16, 2008, 07:43:49 pm »
If I get a chance to borrow a friend's PS2 (and it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem seeing as how he has a PS3), what games do I need to catch up on?

If the game is available for either the PC or GameCube (or Wii, I suppose), you don't need to mention it, at least not for my sake.  Well, I suppose you could mention it, and then I'd play it later if I haven't already.  :P  On the PC, I've already played the Prince Of Persia games, the Silent Hill games, the (good) Tomb Raider games, Psychonauts, Beyond Good & Evil, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty, probably a few others I'm forgetting but whatever...

I also don't care much for realistic sports games (so don't bother suggesting NHL/NBA/Madden 200X).  Same with the realistic shooters (enough of World War II already...seriously).  Oh, and realistic racers...

Naturally, having played the first nine main Final Fantasy games (and several FF spinoffs), early on my list will probably be Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy XII.  And I'll give Final Fantasy X-2 and the Kingdom Hearts games a try.  (If I ever want to play Final Fantasy XI Online, I'll probably go for the PC version, but by now my interest has sort of dropped off for that since I'm still not keen on MMORPGS.)

I'm sure I'll be playing some Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater as well.

Are the Katamari games any good?  What about the trinity of Sony's exclusive franchises...you know, the Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, and Ratchet & Clank games?

I guess I'd have to find out what his library is, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline Revned

RE: If I borrow a PS2, what games should I play?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 08:24:55 pm »
Katamari is fun. Weird, but fun. I haven't played the PS2 Castlevania games, but you give them a shot while you have the chance.

Offline marioman

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 08:38:15 pm »
Mega Man X7.  No more, no less.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 09:06:36 pm »
Funny, I was going to ask about the Castlevania games.  Also, X7 happens to be the only Mega Man X game I haven't played.  o_0

Offline Will

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 12:09:35 am »
I think perhaps you would enjoy playing Sony's classic character games Lara Croft Tomb Raider (Tomb Raider Anniversary for instance) or Crash (Crash Bandicoot or Crash Bash) or probably the Spyro series. When I got the chance to play those games I enjoyed every moment of them. They're not very hard to get, in Malta anyway.

Offline Zeric

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 05:35:56 am »
ICO

Shadow of the Colossus

Shadow Hearts

Shadow Hearts: Covenant

Shadow Hearts: From the New World

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Gradius V

Zone of the Enders 1-2

Okami

Valkyrie Profile 2

Xenosaga I-III

Front Mission 4

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

---

Current Projects: Akumajo Dracula (X6800)
Current Projects: Akumajo Dracula (X6800 - Final Stage) Mega Man X2 (SNES Sigma 2)

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA - 83%)

Offline Rew

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 07:27:20 am »
Mega Man X7 and X8. Also, Command Mission if you've never played it before (although the GCN version was better).

I'd also recommend Mega Man Anniversary Collection and X Collection, but you've probably conquered those already. =P

---

"So this is what it's like..."

- Spark Mandrill
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 10:34:13 am »
Yep, Rew, I played X 8 on the PC, as well as Command Mission on the GameCube.  I really liked Command Mission.  :)  And I played both collections on the GameCube, as well, even with the ridiculous swap of the A and B buttons on Anniversary Collection.  I don't get how they screwed that up...

Is Parappa The Rapper 2 any good?  I remember enjoying the original on the PlayStation...How about Space Channel 5 Part 2 (or whatever the sequel is called)?

And Zeric, you're right, I don't know how I forgot about Ico and Shadow Of The Colossus.  Are the God Of War games any good?

What good fighting games are there?  Or RPGs (other than those mentioned already)?

Offline Will

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 12:51:11 pm »
Oh yes! God of Wars is good! The first one I played had was "Groovy Greeks". In many ways it reminds me of Prince of Persia Warrior Within. It has zombies with spartan helmets, the hero has great combat skills and the first master you face is the hydra which is huge, the size of a whale. Even larger than I imagined. It is certainly worth a try, you'll never be disappointed.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 03:38:40 pm »
Bully

Offline Maxim

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 02:21:59 am »
Wii Bully > PS2 Bully

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 08:44:47 am »
Still haven't gotten around to borrowing it; been meaning to clear my plate of other games first.  But I will before the end of this week, probably.

(The World Ends With You on the DS is an incredible game, and has been taking up my time lately.  I also finished BioShock on the PC, recently.)

Hopefully seeing as how he has a PS3, he won't be in too much of a hurry to get his PS2 back.  Backwards compatibility is a good thing.