Author Topic: Google Chrome  (Read 13041 times)

Offline DarkWolf

Google Chrome
« on: September 02, 2008, 04:57:50 pm »
Anyone try Chrome yet?   There isn't much special on the UI end of things, but I read through the technical stuff this morning and it brings a lot of cool things to the table that I hope other browsers adopt.

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 05:18:05 pm »
I just finished reading their comic presentation and it does sound very promising and well intentioned. Anything that makes browsing the Internet safer is alright in my book, which is why I switched to Firefox as soon as I could (and even use a portable version of it at work where it's impossible for users to "install" software).

As always, I'm a bit uneasy with the idea that I'll have to learn new keyboard shortcuts for this (I'm so used to Firefox' own that I'm literally incapable of using Internet Explorer in any sort of efficient manner) and that my browsing history will be used by Chrome to suggest links in the address bar from Google (a feature I hope I can disable) but it definitely looks like a great program.

Part of me is a bit worried that Google is quickly invading every available "net niche", what with their own version of Wikipedia, their own toolbar, now their own browser, and that a "bid bad corporation monopoly" situation might yet happen with them. On the other hand, the comic is obviously doing its job well because simply by putting names and people's (drawn) faces in it makes me see Google as the cool, trusty underdog it used to be not so long ago instead of the new Microsoft in the making it seems to want to become.

At least with Chrome being an open source project, there will be a lot of transparency and thus less fear of having our browsing data logged and collected without our knowledge.

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 07:28:53 pm »
Meh, I can't really get excited about web browsers.  I do think that Google is spreading themselves too thin though.  What next?  Googleburgers?  Google Mart?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:30:39 pm »
Oh man, this is cool! It automatically found my FireFox bookmarks (which I had just re-organized after several months of simply ading whatever links I found) and it keeps the same keyboard shortcuts as FireFox!

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Maxim

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 04:30:59 am »
Well, it is totally screwed by my company's proxy - everything gets truncated after about 700 bytes so you can only open really small pages. Raising the prominence of WebKit just makes life harder for website developers. Some of the ideas are interesting but I can't live without my Firefox plugins...

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 06:41:52 am »
It definitely doesn't live up to Firefox's ease of use yet, but hopefully the open source approach will allow many of its ideas in terms of stability and security (hello separate processes for each tab!) will make it into the next version of Mozilla's browser which is still king to me.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 08:19:37 am »
Maxim Said:
Well, it is totally screwed by my company's proxy - everything gets truncated after about 700 bytes so you can only open really small pages. Raising the prominence of WebKit just makes life harder for website developers. Some of the ideas are interesting and some of the UI is clever, but I can't live without my Firefox plugins...

Also, Ctrl+F to find? How lame is that? The scrollbar indication of matches isn't enough to make up for it.

And what else would you use? Some mystical voodoo that no one else knows about?

Offline Maxim

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 08:25:44 am »
Open Firefox and press "/".

I like to have it in automatic mode: Tools -> Options... -> Advanced -> General -> Accessibility -> Search for text as I start typing

Use "'" to search only in link text.

This ends today's How To Use Firefox Like Maxim class.

Offline Revned

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:49:55 pm »
Thanks, Professor Maxim! I don't particularly like the automatic mode, I've always had it disabled.

My favorite thing about Firefox is "keywords" for search fields. I have w for Wikipedia, g for Google, i for IMDB, etc. It's very handy.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 02:22:50 pm »
I can't say that I like the way Chrome does search engines.  I'd rather have the separate box.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 02:41:41 pm »
Nothing beats how Firefox handles searches right now to me. The separate box is neat when you want something specific, but the main address box searching through your bookmarks makes reaching a site so easy...

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 05:09:19 pm »
Most of the features in Chrome are already in Firefox in one form or another.  From what I can see, the only unique feature that Chrome has is the threaded browsing, but that feature really makes Chrome more like an OS as opposed to a web browser.