Poll

Yay or Nay? (post if you wish to explain more.)

I don't care.
8 (33.3%)
Nay.
8 (33.3%)
I don't care.
8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Should I? (Pokemon diamond and pearl versions)  (Read 7951 times)

Offline tigerpanda13

Should I? (Pokemon diamond and pearl versions)
« on: January 07, 2009, 10:46:54 am »
Yes, yes i know, the new Pokemons are 3-D, at least for the walk around portion, but would it not be useful, much less awesome to have maps for it? I would pixelate them myself, perhaps using old graphics to my advantage.

I would take me... a WHILE... cause i need to go find a rom and beat it since my DS died, but it'd be worth it.

So wadda ya say guys? yay or nay?

20+ votes with more than 50% being yay will have me post it here. If not, i'll do it anyway for my own purposes. XD

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Should I? (Pokemon diamond and pearl versions)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:42:22 am »
I often forget that you can make polls within topics...

Hi, tigerpanda13.  Maps of Pok?mon Diamond Verison and Pearl Version (and Platinum Version) would probably be pretty useful, considering the continuing popularity of the series, and that we don't have maps of that "generation" yet.

Certainly there are workarounds to the fact that it's rendered in 3-D.  Since it's still so very similar in style to past 2-D games, it should be possible to use graphics for the same structures and terrain as past games.

But if you know anything about hacking/extracting or can find someone here who does, I imagine it should be possible to somehow rip the graphics from the game, so even if you have to reconstruct it by hand in 2-D, you could still be faithful to the graphics of the game, by using the textures as tiles.

Or, if someone's ripping that data anyway, it should also be possible to rip and interpret the layout data itself, so maybe you wouldn't have to do it by hand, and maybe you could make maps that have a 3-D perspective (like Peardian's Paper Mario maps).

I don't know how to do any of that stuff, but I get the theory.  :P  With all the Pok?maniacs out there, which must surely include some who call themselves hackers, I'd be surprised if something like this hasn't been attempted already.

In any case, good luck with this, as it's probably going to be a fair bit of work no matter how you slice it.

Offline Maxim

RE: Should I? (Pokemon diamond and pearl versions)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 09:27:00 am »
Beware announcing things too early. Try mapping it a bit and see if you like the results; maybe post it here for others to comment on. It's probably a lot harder than you think and you don't want to make a fool of yourself.