Author Topic: MP3 to AAC?  (Read 9280 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
MP3 to AAC?
« on: March 03, 2009, 08:15:25 am »
Anyone know of a good (and preferably free) MP3 to AAC converter?

Yeah, I tried Google.  The only free one I found (called Free Audio Pack or something, and seemed shady) didn't seem to work.  Indeed, it created audio files that do have the extension of AAC, but whatever format they were in, they didn't work on the Wii Photo Channel.  Maybe I didn't have the settings correct during conversion - though you'd think the default settings would work - but as I said, it seemed shady, maybe I should scan my computer again...

Seems silly to me that Nintendo would drop MP3 support for the much-less commonly used AAC.  While I could just downgrade my Photo Channel back to v1.0, which did support MP3s, I'd like to convert some tunes into AACs that will work in v1.1, because assumedly those AACs would also work with the music functions in the DSi if I do decide to pick one up.

I'll keep looking when I have a chance, but if you guys know of any or happen to spot one that actually works, let us know here!

Offline Revned

RE: MP3 to AAC?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:44:52 am »
iTunes can do it, though I don't know if the m4a container is the format you need.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:51:13 am »
Winamp ought to do it.

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 10:06:10 am »
I use a program called Alive Video Converter.  It's not completely free but it gets the job done.

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 04:45:35 pm »

Offline marioman

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 05:50:22 am »
Maxim said:

Winamp ought to do it.

Winamp can do it.  See here.  

Just drop a file in the playlist, right click on it, and choose "Send To" -> "Format Converter."  Use the MP4/aacPlus encoder to convert to M4A which is what the Wii uses.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 02:14:26 am »
And it works with VGM files... (I'm intimately familiar with the feature, I bugged the devs to publish the SDK... the "ought" is because the necessary stuff might not be there on a "Lite" installation.)