Author Topic: SimCity (Super NES)  (Read 27441 times)

Offline magicbay

• this isn't me.. just a celeb i like..
SimCity (Super NES)
« on: April 15, 2009, 01:48:56 pm »
I know this is kind of a pain in the hind end, but has anyone thought about mapping out Simcity for the snes?

John won't let me submit the maps I've gotten since I got my maps from someone else. I don't know how to crop the maps together so the maps could take up less space.

I understand your complaints, John. I've given up the ghost of submitting my maps and am throwing the question out there to both you and to all of the other members of the site to see if they'd like to do Simcity or atleast be interested in doing this game.

Offline Will

RE: SimCity (Super NES)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:44:00 pm »
Don't you know? The SNES Simcity maps already exist on the site, they're just 8 in 1, compliments of Tropicon. You have to pay attention when the site is updated.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 02:48:34 pm »
magicbay had submitted the first fifteen in-game maps of the "regular" areas of SimCity, right from the Map Select screen.  From the looks of it, maps from 000-999 would have been selectable, and then anyone would see the map if they needed it prior to playing.

What I had suggested was that rather than expect me to put up 1000 in-game maps of little value (when you consider the site "only" has about 12000 maps total, 1000 just for SimCity is a bit much, and remember, I still manually add these in), it would be more feasible to simply submit 10 images with 100 maps on each if you really want to see the in-game maps here.

Making an image with a size of 2560 x 2240 (which is ten times the width and ten times the height of a single Super NES screen) and then simply pasting in screenshots is not a hard thing to do, it's just whether anyone thinks it's worth doing.

I won't discourage the submission of the in-game maps if they were in groups of 100 so I'd only have to deal with 10 images rather than 1000.

And remember: JPEG sucks for pixel art such as video game maps.  You can't simply re-save or convert a JPEG, since the damage by JPEG compression has already been done.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 03:27:07 pm »
The maps that are on here are the scenarios, not the normal maps from where ya get to choose from 000 to 999.

I'm not getting into an arguement over this topic as Jon pointed out in earlier topic attempts is rather pointless for me or anyone else to get into.

The 15 maps that Jon is referring to are ones that I had gotten from someone else and was showing him what I had mentioned to him that there was no author's name nowhere on the 15 maps that I sent him privately.

I've even emailed the guy that sent me the maps asking him if he had the maps still and could save them in a different photo format but he said that he no longer had the maps to do that.

Also, I'm still playing around with my photo editors to be able to do that but am willing to step aside and give up this ghost for who ever else wants to take up the project of mapping this game, Jon.

I Admit Defeat on this topic and will send the maps to who ever wants the .jpg versions of the maps privately.

Offline marioman

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 03:52:55 pm »
FYI, there are actually 2000 in-game maps.  You can unlock an additional 1000 maps via some code.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 04:33:55 pm »
I know about the additional 1000 maps but I haven't gotten ahold of those as of yet.

I'm also in the process of starting a Yahoo.com group devoted to Simcity on the Snes.

Yes, I'll have diffent photo albums devoted to different photo formats so people can enjoy the maps on any given photo format.  I'll send Jon the group link in a few days so he can link my Simcity group to here for those people searching for the simcity maps.

As for editing the maps for the yahoo group, I welcome any and all maps of edited size and degrees and formats.

Don't worry Jon.

Rest assured that I'm not taking any credit for any maps that I didn't make, just for the group and making a place for the Snes Simcity map collectors.

Offline Peardian

• Busy busy
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 05:05:39 pm »
From the sound of it, they're just screenshots of a stage selection screen. What's to stop you from going and making the maps yourself?

---

YTT (36%) - WL4 (72%) - PM (45%) - YI (13%)
MM (10%) - SMA3 (33%) - DNS (0%)

Come check out the Nintendo 64 Mapping Workshop!

Offline magicbay

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 05:15:16 pm »
For one thing, I don't have the stuff to hack into the game itself and another thing, I know nothing about computer programming and the like.

All I do know how to do is cropping maps to my liking but as far as going into a map and editing it, it's a bit out of my reach and understanding.

That's why I leave all the techno stuff to the experts..

Offline magicbay

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 05:35:55 pm »
If yall want to make 10 pics showing the first 1000 maps, give me a week to get my yahoo.com group set up and post the link, once the link is posted, then your more than welcome to copy the pics over to the hard drive and make the 10 pics privately.

I'm not going to keep going rounds with everyone here about me making photos containing 1000 maps as Jon has pointed out to me in earlier posts that it would be fruitless for me to keep arguing when there's no point to this.

If someone else wants to turn the 1000 maps into 10 pics, more power to that person.

Just quit picking on me for my lack of techno and map skills..

Forgive me Jon for my sudden outburst.  If ya want to suspend my account for a while because of this, ya can.  If not, that's ok too..

Offline Tropicon

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 09:09:06 pm »
So your original Sim City request was for the 2000 blank city maps?  You really want 2000 maps of nothing?

It's not like it can't be done.  It's not even very difficult, in fact you could call it level 1 difficulty mapping.  It's just a lot of work, a mountain of work.  At the 3 days it took me to make 8... *does calculation* more then 2 years!  It would take me more then 2 years to map them all.  I think 2 years of mapping empty fields might just drive me insane.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 09:59:41 pm »
All I said was that I know about the extra 1000 maps and hadn't gotten them yet but it would be nice to have them.

I'm sure someone out there on the internet has them and hasn't shared them with the public.

I know that it's alot of work mapping games and such out and such.  That's why I've been patient with getting the maps and such from the some of the previous game requests that I've posted.

Can't you people stop making me feel guilty for asking if someone was able to do this map project instead of me??

Give me a break!!

Besides, I'm one person and yall are more techno oriented than I am.  If you want the maps in a different photo format, give me a few days or so and I'll have a yahoo.com group up and running with maps of various viewing formats for you to do the SNES Simcity editing project.  Then you can take the credit for posting the maps in 10 or 20 pictures.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 10:00:49 pm »
BTW..

Quit trying to bash me and leave me alone for once and go pick on someone else for a chance..

Offline Revned

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 11:35:43 pm »
Nobody is "picking on you".

You don't need any technical skills to do maps like this. All you do is open the map in your emulator, take a screenshot, then crop it in your image editor. Lather, rinse, repeat ad infinitum (almost).

I think when (if) we get new forums, we should get rid of the Map Requests section. Too many people ask for maps that no one really wants to do. I think, rather, individuals willing to take requests should just start their own threads.

Offline Will

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 02:37:42 am »
I certainly think that the Map Requests section is being abused. You've got to be more patient and understanding Magicbay, you can't just demand for maps all the time. If you want something mapped, you've got to wait for it or try your luck on mapping it by yourself. You see GrandyPanda occasionally makes requests, because there are various well deserved games that ought to be mapped, but those requests are fair and not too much to ask.

Offline magicbay

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 02:46:58 am »
That's why I had made a request for this game but instead I got jumped on just for making a request for this some time back as well as this time.

I guess my yahoo.com group will have to suffice with the current jpg maps.