Author Topic: Mega Man 9  (Read 23862 times)

Offline Revned

Mega Man 9
« on: December 21, 2009, 04:19:09 am »
As I mentioned in the big Mega Man topic, I was able to fix the bug in Dolphin that was preventing this game from being emulated. Now it works great, and I can finally map it. Enjoy this first map.

More good news is that since Mega Man 10 will almost certainly use the same engine, it should run in Dolphin as well. I'll be mapping it as soon as it comes out :-)

Must... sleep....
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:21:42 am by Revned »

Offline TerraEsperZ

Re: Mega Man 9
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 10:19:53 am »
Man, I had no idea you were actually working on that emulator. That makes you even cooler than before!

(Sorry for the fanboyism, but anyone who helps map a great game like this one turns me into a drooling idiot).

TenguMan did an amazing job considering he wasn't even technically "mapping" the game, but getting an accurate map with sprites and everything? If that doesn't get you a Map Of The Month, well...

OK, it might not but we'll all still be impressed :)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 10:39:25 am »
Impressive Revned.  Mega Man 9 has brought some mapping stories.  First we have a person reconstruct maps by hand from the original tiles, and now we have someone fix a bug in an emulator for the sole purpose of mapping Mega Man 9.  By the way, do you plan to tackle all 42 levels in Endless Mode?  That would be another impressive feat.

Nice work!

P.S. There is a missing weapon refill after the bubble section in your Splash Woman map.  Just thought you would like to know.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 11:21:52 am by marioman »

Offline Revned

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 02:01:19 pm »
The bug fix wasn't *that* impressive. It used to work better in the really old versions of Dolphin, but something broke and no one else seemed to care. I just sifted through revisions until I found the problem. This, along with all the revisions in the meantime, made it work perfectly as far I as I can see.

I plan on mapping Endless Mode, or at least trying.  And thanks for mentioning the mistake, marioman, I'll fix it.

Offline Rew MK-2

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 10:55:08 am »
Tough call. On the one hand, there's certainly something to be said for fully ripped maps, with sprites, and without that big red border. But on the other hand, I know TenguMan put a lot of work into his maps. Hmmm...

At any rate, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the Endless Stage maps!

Offline Revned

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 04:19:16 pm »
He did a great job given the difficulty and limited resources he had, but his maps have many errors. I don't think Jon will have any qualms about replacing them. I was just hoping TenguMan wasn't still working on the remaining maps.

I've finished Splash Woman, Jewel Man and Tornado Man's stages.

[EDIT] I just received email from TenguMan wishing me luck with my maps. It seems he can't log into the new boards with his old account.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:24:04 pm by Revned »

Offline Revned

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 01:56:05 am »
Done except for Endless Mode. I'm going to check for mistakes and hopefully submit them tomorrow night (today, I guess).

Offline marioman

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 08:32:37 am »
Wow, that was fast.  Can't wait to see the finished maps.

Offline Revned

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 10:42:14 am »
I would have been done by the 26th if not for the holidays and distracting gifts.

Offline Revned

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 06:01:48 pm »
Here they are, also emailed to Jon.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 11:39:27 pm »
Not sure if they'll be up before the end of 2009...  Maybe I shouldn't rush to get them in today because if I do, they'll eventually fall off the front page's listing when I put the 2009 ones away.

I do want to put up your maps, Revned, and I will, I just wonder what I'm supposed to do with TenguMan's.  It might be nice to keep them around somewhere as a testament to what can be done before direct screen captures are available.  If not on VGMaps.com, it'd be nice if they were somewhere.

(I figured a way to fix TenguMan's login but I don't know if he got my message...)

What are the Wily stages properly called in this game?  Are they part of "Dr. Wily's Castle", or "Wily Castle", or what?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:45:48 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Revned

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 12:00:41 am »
Happy New Year everybody! It's 12 sharp here.

Maybe just put TenguMan's on a separate page and post a link here, rather than keep them on the main site.

In the Time Trial screens they are called "Wily Castle".

Offline Rew

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 06:38:55 pm »
I say put them both up. Even though they would look similar, like you said Jon, it would be instructive in that TenguMan's maps would be reconstructions. After all, it's not unusual to see different versions of the same places mapped on this site.

And I look forward to seeing what you've got, Revned! And I'm especially looking forward to the Endless Stage maps too. =0)
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline Revned

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 06:52:47 pm »
You can see them now if you don't want to wait for Jon. Just look a few posts back.

I'd like to put all the sections of Endless Mode in one image, but we'll have to see how it works out. Once I finish mapping them I'll have to put my Tetris skills to the test. I've finished 7/34 areas so far.

Offline marioman

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 08:59:20 pm »
34 areas?  I assume that you are excluding the boss rooms?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 08:59:36 pm by marioman »