Author Topic: Castlevania: Harmony Of Dissonance (GBA)  (Read 64467 times)

Offline DarkWolf

RE: Castlevania: Harmony Of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2006, 09:17:18 pm »
If you can't map the PSX version of SotN there's always the Saturn version.  There's a promising emulator for Saturn that can already disable different layers.  It still needs more work in other areas though.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2006, 09:30:16 pm »
Nah, I don't think it would work well. For one, I've heard that because of the base resolution being different, the Saturn version has slightly stretched graphics. If anyone stands a chance of mapping that game, it's Edsword (you can see a few completed rooms at www.edsword.com">www.edsword.com). Myself, I prefer to keep working on the GBA Castlevanias for now ;)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2006, 10:47:03 am »
When I get back from work, I'll post the textures as I extracted them to show just how much work that Clock Tower took to make.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2006, 01:27:15 pm »
You know, this discussion about SotN makes me think it would be a great Atlas project here. Sure, it would take us forever, but it would be much more manageable if we all pooled our resources and each did a room or two here and there. I'd certainly like to help out with it. Would it not be awesome for VGMaps to have SotN fully mapped out?

Offline Edsword

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2006, 01:47:12 pm »
It's been a while - good to see you guys are still making maps.  Terra, sounds like you're getting the same rep as me - starting too many projects.  

Sadly, I haven't worked on the SotN maps in a long, long time (over 2 years by the looks of it).  Everything I did is in the directory at

http://www.edsword.com/SOTN/

Sorry for the www's on the images - this was during my sensitive time after Andrew Mills completely ripped off my MZM maps.  I know I have clean copies somewhere . . .

I got frustrated with the project because of 2 things: 1) no layer management in ePSXe (yes, Terra - that's what I used) and 2) the rooms just didn't line up.  I felt like the full map would be virtually impossible.  

Sorry to go off topic, but over the years I have also made but not released:

95% complete Minish Cap overworld map

95% complete Oracle of Ages/Seasons maps (they

had been done I think but these were dear to me)

Several unfinished Lego Star Wars (GBA) maps.  Those were actually kinda fun due to the amount of original pixel work wileee and I were doing (but this is also why they were never finished).  

There's others I'm sure.  I'm digging Revned's  idea  that we tackle SotN as a group.  I'm not sure how much progress I'd make personally, but I'd certainly donate what I have.  I believe that's probably the only way it would ever reach completion.

Offline Revned

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 01:50:29 pm »
Hey, Ed. I'm the guy who emailed you years ago about full resolution copies of the Super Metroid maps. I'd still really like to see those *hint*.

The more I think about it, the better my SotN idea sounds. I'm going to make another topic so we don't fill this one up too much.

Offline Edsword

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2006, 01:55:38 pm »
Hey Rev - yeah I suppose 3 years later I really oughta be getting those full res maps out eh?

Quick other note to Terra - my memory might be playing tricks on me - the only other emu I used for SotN was AdriPSX - and I know ONE of them was dumping screens so maybe it was that rather than ePSXe?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2006, 02:12:42 pm »
Good to see you again Edsword :)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2006, 10:49:27 pm »
Clock Tower A:

User posted image

I also took the liberty of correcting a few aesthetic mistakes, that is places where the wrong tiles were obviously used and which were very easy to correct. Side by side, you can see the original  location with the defects circled in red on the left, and the corrected location on the right.

User posted image

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2006, 11:24:20 pm »
I finally put together a full map of the castle as it would appear to be just before Death informs you that you've actually been exploring two castles instead of one.

For some reasons, a half-size image was too big, even when compressed to fit under ImageShack's file size limit, so I made a quarter-size image and saved it as a JPG to further reduce it. This is only so that people can get a good idea of how the castles will look when properly assembled.

User posted image

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2006, 08:46:58 am »
By area, wouldn't it then be 1/16th the size?  If it's 1/4 the height and 1/4 the width?  Man, that's going to be huge.  What's that...*calculates*...15104 x 7936? At least?  Whoa.  And I think Revned said that SotN will be much larger, even.  o_0

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2006, 09:35:18 am »
I've also done calculations, and a full-size map of the entire castle would be 15104 x 7936 pixels in size! Which is, unfortunately, much too big for my computer to handle with only 512 MB of memory. I guess a full map will have to be done by someone else once I'm finished with this.

That's what I mentionned earlier, and I don't plan on making it one pixel bigger than absolutely needed.

Also, after extensively discussing the issue with Revned on AIM, I've given more thought to the possibility of filling all the empty spaces on the map. The horizontal gaps will be easy for the most part, merely requiring extending outgoing corridors by 8 pixels. It's the vertical gaps which worry me. Most of them are 48 pixels in height, and a few might be even taller considering that to align some corridors I'd have to move some portions of the map thus creating in some places gaps 96 pixels high. Creating vertical connections like that would require adding platforms which don't exist just so that people don't get the idea that the passages are too long for the player to move up and own through them.

I'll try posting a few attempts soon to get the discussion rolling.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2006, 12:44:10 pm »
Like I told Revned, I've spent several hours trying to come up with a way to arrange the map to eliminate as many gaps as possible. I've had to move large blocks of rooms a lot and the backgrounds will have to be redone to match the new room configuration, but it looks quite passable. There are only about two dozen gaps left (that could not be avoided) and for those, I made sure that the doors/passages lined up and were linked by straigth lines.

Here's a "proof-of-concept" map showing how both castle maps will look once I'm finished mapping the game. Since the map is over 6 MB in size, I've  had to use Megaupload for the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W5WL4XGQ

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2006, 10:31:27 pm »
I'm finally working quasi-full time again on this game. Now things are getting interesting since I've already mapped all the areas at least once in  either Castle A (new) or B (old and ruined). Thus all the maps from now on are alternate maps and you can compare them to maps already done for differences.

Clock Tower B:

User posted image

And yeah, I know all these previews are reduced in size and low-quality, but I'm a bit paranoid and really don't want my work stolen considering the GBA Castlevanias are high profile games ;)

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline mephea

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2006, 06:04:05 am »
looking very nice terra.  i wish i had the skills that you had.