Author Topic: VGMaps.com Atlas Project: Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night (PSX)  (Read 317337 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: VGMaps.com Atlas Project: Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night (PSX)
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2006, 09:01:24 am »
The Colosseum was a cool area, and here it looks great!

A quick glance of the map you have shows that over a half of what has been done has been done by you, Revned.  Not to dismiss what everyone else has contributed but you deserve the most pats on the back for the progress so far.

I don't even know why I'm in this topic, really.  >_>  I'm interested, I guess, but I've done zilch to help other than the occasional word of encouragement or praise.  Hopefully enough of those words will spur people that have helped to continue helping.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2006, 12:50:46 pm »
I just noticed that the dead beast in the background of the lowest level of the Colosseum there looks just like the one that chases you in both Rondo of Blood and Portrait of Ruin (seeing as how I started both games recently).

Offline Revned

« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2006, 12:58:24 pm »
It is the same, straight outta Rondo.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2006, 03:23:10 pm »
Considering Symphony takes place only 4 years after Rondo, it makes for great continuity.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2007, 08:40:37 pm »
vudu from NintendoWorldReport says VGMaps.com sucks, because the one time he needs maps, we don't have them.  Apparently he's lost in Super Castlevania IV.

At this point, I'm also curious as to how Symphony Of The Night and Harmony Of Dissonance are coming along, though I'm guessing that if there was anything to show, it would have been shown.

It's great that there's a Castlevania bug going around.  Too bad there's a "too busy" bug around too.  :/

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2007, 09:14:24 pm »
Whiny Internet posters who complain because people they wouldn't otherwise care for aren't kissing their ass on a daily basis could be put to better use by trying to earn the Darwin Award. I'm only speaking for myself of course.

Anyway, anyone who gets lost in a linear game like Super Castlevania IV deserves to be mocked, tarred, feathered and kicked in the ass. Repeatedly.

And yeah, Harmony Of Dissonance is sort of on the back-burner for now, as I don't have much free time these days. Hopefully, things should clear out in the coming weeks, allowing me to resume regular work on it.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2007, 09:35:37 pm »
Okay, I don't think vudu was serious...  >_>  But that's my fault, I should've been more clear.

I recall Super Castlevania IV being a visually impressive game.  If we have Dracula X, Bloodlines and Rondo Of Blood all fully mapped, then I too am wondering why we don't have SCV IV.  But something in my memory is bugging me about rotating backgrounds or something.  Technical difficulties?  Ah, well, it can wait, and has to, since the CV fans are too busy, and understandably so.

You guys know I went to the Video Games Live concert last week.  I was disappointed that they only play selected pieces for each venue that they play at, and for us, they decided not to play anything from Castlevania.  Phooey, that's my only major gripe about the concert.  Maybe there's a clip of it when they played it elsewhere on YouTube.

Working on "the project" (you know which I mean) by doing a little bit each day, I'm reawakening my desire to map.  Maybe it's also a desire to create, but it's seeing a complete map that makes me happy.  Perhaps when I'm done I'll help out in Symphony Of The Night instead of just lurking here.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2007, 12:08:55 pm »
I'd be willing to help map CV4, but I'd rather finish a couple of my current projects.

And no, there is no way I'd map SoTN. I haven't even played it and I doubt my computer would even be able to run it. :P

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2007, 02:35:29 pm »
Well, continuing Super Castlevania IV would be a lot easier now that the latest version of ZSNES *finally* renders that last scanline. I spent a few hours just filling that damn line while mapping the first stage. Of course, there's still the fact that colors are shared by several layers making it difficult to deal with parallax backgrounds.

If you want to go ahead with Stage 2 and further, go ahead RT 55J. For once, I'm glad to let someone else continue something I started.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2007, 08:57:15 pm »
While browsing the forums at The Castlevania Dungeon, I found something really neat: a utility called SymphoTile which is supposed to allow someone to view the tiles of the game directly from the CD!!!

Unfortunately, I can't test the thing right now, since I lost the ISO when my HD crashed, so perhaps someone else will be able to tell us if it lives up to its promises. Should Revned or anyone else start working on this game again, this could really help!

Get SymphoTile here

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: August 02, 2007, 07:39:19 am »
I guess this is shelved for the time being, huh?  :(

Revned

« Reply #176 on: November 29, 2007, 07:14:53 am »
"Symphotile" works. It indeed displays the tiles right from the CD and in full color. you have to select the proper palette manually, but it works.

The only disadvantage is that it is a DOS application and you may have some trouble running it in windows, but it's still fine if you use "cmd" in full screen.

Offline Revned

« Reply #177 on: November 29, 2007, 06:29:09 pm »
Hmm, thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out if I ever get back to this project.

Offline Zeric

« Reply #178 on: November 30, 2007, 07:59:51 pm »
Seems like someone have already made a complete map of the normal castle of the saturn version. You can see it at www.persona-world.net

---

Current Projects: Akumajo Dracula (X6800)
Current Projects: Akumajo Dracula (X6800 - Final Stage) Mega Man X2 (SNES Sigma 2)

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA - 83%)

Offline Revned

« Reply #179 on: November 30, 2007, 10:32:04 pm »
Well, looks like someone beat us to the punch. They didn't do the backgrounds, though, so ours will be better if it ever gets completed.

If anyone out there is waiting for the upside-down castle, don't hold your breath. It ain't gonna happen. If we ever finish the first castle, I doubt many of us would want to spend so much time on an almost identical version.