Author Topic: This board is too quiet (also, I got food poisoning last night)  (Read 11193 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

This board is too quiet (also, I got food poisoning last night)
« on: October 18, 2006, 06:02:57 am »
I seem to remember the Social Board being more about posters than just random videos and what-not. So I'm posting this thread just because I can, and also in the hope that someone will have an explaination for my condition.

*WARNING, NTO FOR THE FAINT OF HEART*

Short story is, I hate some Tostitos corn chips with salsa yesterday. Not a whole lot, but a reasonable amount. Afterward however, I began feeling bloated and not quite well, signs I both recognized and dreaded. Well things came to head at around 5 pm where nightmares woke me up and forced me to head to the bathroom in a hurry to expel whatever was shredding my insides. Let's just say that vomit and liquid diarrhea were involved in large quantities, and that despite how unpleasant it felt while my body purged itself, I felt *much* better afterward.

Now, my question concerns the fact that this is the second time in two years where I got food poisoning from eating those damn chips with salsa.  I've eaten those on more than two occasions during that time, but it strikes me as odd that I't get sick twice on the same stuff. Is there anything about corn chips and salsa I should know? Anybody?

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline mephea

RE: This board is too quiet (also, I got food poisoning last night)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 08:27:35 am »
you shouldnt be getting food poisoning from chips and salsa unless you aren't properly sealing the salsa or eating some chips that are just 890678958096 years out of date.  You can properly seal salsa with ceram wrap, thats how non-sensitive it is. heh.

You're system may be kicking back certain ingredients though, when it comes to salsa certain acids can cause your body to kinda freak out, but that's usually if you have issues with blood pressure, hypertension or diabetes.  

John, my fiance, loves jalapenos, but now when he eats jalapenos (not fresh jalapenos, im talking about preserved ones in vinegar..those things are bad for you like fried porkchops) his system goes into reverse and he gets sick as a dog, his main symptom being a massive headache.

It could be MSG or whatever, its a certain ingredient that usually causes diarhea and symptoms resembling food poisoning.  If I eat certain chinese foods, particularly the greasy or extreme salty ones, my body flips out and I gotta get to a bathroom ASAP.

Some foods, like taco bell, kills me. I can't eat taco bell after 4pm, if I do im always very close to asking john to haul me to the ER.  Vomit, diarhea, headache, coughing, major indigestion...

yet, as an american, i continue to eat these horrible fucking foods.  GO ME!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 10:34:16 am »
Considering I had just bought both the salsa and the chips when I got sick (both times), it wasn't a question of freshness, unless I'm the unluckiest guy in the world.

I also don't have any problem with blood pressure or diabetes, so I have to conclude that there's  something inside the salsa that, when eaten in sufficient quantities, makes me sick as a dog.

Today isn't much better, as my body is still kinda on the fringe and I didn't get much sleep last night.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 01:12:14 pm »
It's probably because you aren't used to eating it. I had some meatballs at a dinner a couple of weeks ago that were filled with onions. I hate onions and never touch them, but I felt like I had to eat them to be polite. Let's just say that my experiences the next day were a lot like yours.

Offline bustin98

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 01:58:06 pm »
I have experiences with eating foods I'm not accustomed to, as well. I just make sure I drink lots of water to stay hydrated and to help pass whatever it was that caused the problem.

Sometimes I have problems when I eat too much of something. Like apples. I generally have an apple a day. But there are times that the apple comes back to haunt me.

And if I have too much sweets my tongue breaks out in funny bumps.

I used to be a big fan of Oreos. I'd put some in a bowl, pour a mug of milk, and dip away. But at some point something changed. Either the cookies or me. Cause now when I eat them they kinda slide right through me and the results are as dark as the cookies and not very solid. My stomach gets a couple of knots, too.

Food. Who needs it anyway? Well, give me my cheeseburgers, hotdogs, pizza, and fried chicken and I'm happy. Throw in steak and pork chops and I'm better. (I'm a meat and meat kinda guy)

---

Cool beans

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 02:57:12 pm »
But the weird thing is that I'm used to eating pretty much anything, as I have a family and friends who are all big fans of sophisticated cooking. I can only remember being sick from eating food twice during the last decade, and it was those times where I ate that damn salsa. Boy, salsa-flavored vomit sure tastes horrible.

Oh yeah, I also have a very mild intolerance to lactosis, but it only manifests itself when drinking milk proper; any other dairy product goes down without a hitch. And even then, it only gives me gas and makes me feel like burping all the time without actually being able to do it. It's really annoying.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 05:35:13 pm »
I've never had food poisoning as far as I know, but recently I had a pretty nasty dump when I got home from work, and I believe it had to do with a nasty combination involving salsa and hot chocolate I hard during the day.  Funnily enough, salsa's involved in your case too.

I don't have salsa that often.  I think I do like it.  But considering it's quite a mix of stuff, I can see how it could go easily wrong, or be vile when mixed with even more stuff.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 05:49:41 pm »
Well this sucks. I've only eaten two muffins during the whole day (and even that seemed to upset my stomach a lot) and I'm not hungry for supper at all. Yet I know that tomorrow morning, assuming my body feels better, I'm be starved.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)