Author Topic: Virtual Boy Wario Land (VB)  (Read 54229 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

Virtual Boy Wario Land (VB)
« on: January 22, 2007, 11:46:09 pm »
During The Ultimate Koopa's thread where he requested Wario Land maps, Captain Drake mentioned the possibility of him doing maps for Virtual Boy Wario Land, something he later said would be too difficult.

Well, I like a challenge and as I said then, I started working on a map for the first level, to see how hard it would be (similar to the Super Castlevania IV map I did). Turns out that it was really hard and time consuming to do, and that was with only *one* parallax background to separate from the foreground. Anyway, I have finished mapping this level tonight, and for once, I decided to make it an official submission to the site, with map header and all. JonLeung, feel free to be angry at me for making you do a virtual Boy section ;)

User posted image

Game Name: Virtual Boy Wario Land

Copyright: Nintendo 1995

Level Name: Level 1

Resolution: 7168 x 432

Size: 151 KB

Format: PNG

Type: Ripped

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

RE: Virtual Boy Wario Land (VB)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 06:21:19 am »
Although I've never played VBWL, this map looks pretty darn accurate to me.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 07:37:11 am »
Aw, you're not going to make it red?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 11:01:22 am »
Well, like I told Mephea yesterday, I wanted people to actually enjoy looking at the map, not cause their eyes to burst ;)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 12:06:50 pm »
I'm at the Video Games Live concert 'til late tonight, and even if I wasn't, you know I usually update on weekends as I have been for the last year, so you don't have to be concerned that I'd put it up too early.

If anything, you may have to remind me on the weekend if it's not in my email.

Speaking of forgetting things not in my email, didn't you say I could put up one of your Contra: Hard Corps maps and didn't you create that Legend Of Zelda map using A Link To The Past's in-game map tiles?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 05:45:21 pm »
Okay, I edited the link in my first post, so you can use that version.

Yeah, you can put up my first Contra: Hard Corps map, and that Legend Of Zelda map too if you must. I find it so horrible nowadays....

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 08:31:32 pm »
Bah, make them red. I seem to be the only person who doesn't mind the redness. I can play my Virtual Boy for at least an hour without any problems.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 09:38:58 pm »
Well, if you're the only one who doesn't mind the red, then I'm certainly not going to penalize everyone else by making them red, am I :P ?

But seriously, using the correct red palette, the darker shade of red is just too dark and the parallax backgrounds are just too hard to make out. I can post the red version too for comparison, but I'd really rather have the black & white version on the site.

Black & White:

User posted image

Red Tones:

User posted image

Game Name: Virtual Boy Wario Land

Copyright: Nintendo 1995

Level Name: Level 1

Resolution: 7168 x 432

Size: 45 KB

Format: PNG

Type: Ripped

Painting the outside of the map in red for the red tones one allowed me to further reduce the number of bytes used for colors (4 colors thus 2 bytes instead of 5 colors necessitating 4 bytes).

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Grizzly

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 12:27:26 am »
Although the file size would be bigger, I personally like a white background around a red map the most. This way it looks original and you can better distinguish gamescreen and border.

Offline Captain Drake

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 05:53:05 am »
Good job. Gonna do all other stages as well?

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 06:13:30 am »
Captain Drake Said:
Good job. Gonna do all other stages as well?

Good god no! This was most likely the simplest map in the whole game and I still had to do tons of pixel editing to separate the foreground from the background. I've stopped mapping game for less than that you know :) Disappointing I know, but I only finished this one to see if I could do it.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 07:41:42 am »
Well, I won't put up the Zelda map if you don't really like it.  I thought it was kind of a neat experiment but somehow forgot to put it up way back when.

I think I really do prefer red for these maps.  It's an easy fix that makes it feel like the Virtual Boy.  Anyone looking for Virtual Boy maps would know what they're looking for.  I don't think anyone's being "penalized" for seeing red here.

I don't prefer Game Boy maps in their original spinach-green colour, but then again, the latest iteration of the Game Boy was the Game Boy Pocket which did use a black-and-grey-and-grey-and-white palette.  Unquestionably, the VB is red, and infamous for it, so unless you strongly oppose it (you're the mapper, after all), I would put up the red one.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 10:08:07 am »
Oh, I have nothing against posting the Zelda map. It's just that it's a primarily aesthetic map and a non-official one at that. I was wondering in which section you would put it.

As for the Wario Land map, let me just play around with the brightness level. My beef with the red palette so far is that the darkest shade is really hard to notice and makes the map hard on the eyes (at least, on my eyes).

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 06:37:23 pm »
I'm currently working on Level 2 and it's proving both easier and harder to do than the first one.

At first, I considered showing all the secrets and items but in the end, the only hidden things I'm revealing are the spring blocks (some are hidden) and the doors leading to treasures (usually hidden behind blocks; so far, I've removed the blocks directly in front of it because the limited number of colors, 4, make transparencies really hard to discern).

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 11:13:17 am »
Great, now I forget where I should put that Zelda map or what to call it.

Where was that Contra: Hard Corps map again?  >_<

Nice to see two VB maps, that will make that section start out larger than the WonderSwan and Xbox sections!  >_>  If Level 2 is ready to be up, that is.