Author Topic: Gimmick!  (Read 24860 times)

Offline Raccoon Sam

Gimmick!
« on: July 18, 2007, 02:12:09 pm »
This game is an extraordinary gem I found today. It is visually very appealing, and it has a special built-in chip that adds four extra sound channels to the normal 4, thus creating an incredible audio pleasure. The game is about a green dude who walks around in a some kind of a dream-world and kills stuff with stars. Simple concept and wonderful design. Nonetheless, I present you the first level of Gimmick! (Warning, 2048 x 760 pixels)

http://xs217.xs.to/xs217/07293/Gimmick.png

I am going to do an animated GIF of the whole level with its background animations just because they're so damn awesome. Allow me to elaborate with a 4-frame animation of only one screen:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/Raccoon_Sam/Snap.gif

^Now that's what I call a SMOOTH animation!

---

If you're interested on hacking Donkey Kong Country, contact me via AIM. My screen name is "Raccoon Sam C"

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Gimmick!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 02:20:22 pm »
Wow, I've never even heard of this game. Looks interesting, and definitely something I want in my collection. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, and I'm looking foward to more maps of it :)

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 07:40:29 am »
I hadn't heard of it either.  Thank goodness for Wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimmick%21

It was released in Japan in 1992, and then later in Europe as Mr. Gimmick!  It's apparently really challenging.  And it sounds cool, as NES platformers go.

Offline Fearnavigatr

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 08:17:34 am »
I think I've actually played that game very long ago, a neighbour of mine had it. Don't remember much of it, but I know it was pretty cool.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 11:51:23 am »
Sad that this didn't get released in North America.  1992 was only the year after the North American debut of the Super NES, so there were still a few NES games that came out.  Some NES games came out even as late as 1994, I think.

With rare exceptions like Kirby's Adventure, most of the late NES games really sucked, but from the looks of it, (Mr.) Gimmick! is a solid game that should've come out here.

Whole animated .GIF maps sound pretty cool.  They also sound pretty big.  These will certainly be interesting.

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 12:02:20 pm »
I think I may have heard of a "Mr Gimmick!", but then I'm probably thinking of something like "It's Mr Pants" or whatever heh.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 06:47:58 pm »
I know this thread is old, but seeing as I've been playing this game all evening, are you still planing on mapping this game Raccoon Sam?

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Sonic CD (Sega CD)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 06:40:16 am »
Nah.

Go nuts if you want to map it yourself, I have no interest on the project anymore.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 12:26:27 am »
Well, I wasn't going to honestly. I was just curious to see animated maps for whole stages. But since you're not interested anymore, I went ahead and mapped it :P It's a short but fun and very challenging game. Your only weapon, the star, is though to use and its use as transportation to reach many of the special treasures is awkward at best. You usually have to jump and throw the star at a wall and hope you either land directly on it or can jump on top while it comes back toward you; doing that while trying to jump in seemingly impossible-to-reach passages is not exactly fun and can take quite a while.

Anyway, I love the music as well as the colorful graphics which both remind me a lot of Treasure Master, another interesting yet neglected game. Oh, I should also mention the catch that Level 7 is only accessible if you've collected the special treasure from each of the first six stages, which can be both easy and hard depending on the level.

Concerning the maps, they're not animated of course, since I hate making animated GIFs (it was a long and tedious process doing small animated maps for Battletoads, and several programs actually messed up some graphics when "optimizing" the files), but the levels are all done. I even had to improvise a bit because the game font I wanted to use only covered the numbers 1, 2 and 9 (I checked in the PPU viewer for the rest and they don't exist), so I had to edit/draw the remaining numbers because they were all needed for the map names and the present year. I like to think I did a passable job of it.

Stage 1:

User posted image

Stage 2:

User posted image

Stage 3:

User posted image

Stage 4:

User posted image

Stage 5:

User posted image

Stage 6:

User posted image

Stage 7:

User posted image

I'll submit them tomorrow to JonLeung unless he takes them from this thread before then.

---

Current projects: Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 07:00:46 am »
I'll grab them from this topic...

Above-average-looking NES platformers FTW!

EDIT: And they're up!

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 09:27:55 am »
Thanks JonLeung. I was *way* too tired last night to send them by mail. Funny, I don't think I've ever mapped a whole game this quickly before (under a week).

---

Current projects: Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Raccoon Sam

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 09:52:51 am »
Excellent job!

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 02:55:32 pm »
Somebody's working on an editor for this game.

The reason I bring this up is because there's a discrepancy between J)-Level2.png(TerraEsperZ's map of Level 2 and the map generated by the editor It looks as if there is a secret area accessible from the top of the map.

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 07:07:23 pm »
I actually found out about that on Friday, but I was gone all weekend so I couldn't try out if that room is accessible in-game. I'll have a look tomorrow and correct my map if necessary.

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 07:34:01 am »
Hey JonLeung! Updated maps waiting for you in your inbox you know! Stop giving Mega Man all the attention :)

---

Current projects: Bucky O'Hare (NES), Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)