Author Topic: Mega Man Maps  (Read 553884 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Mega Man Maps
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2007, 08:22:53 pm »
I think it was Hi-Tech Expressions, though I could be wrong.  Wouldn't surprise me if it was them, and that they would stoop to that, though.

Offline marioman

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2007, 09:54:58 pm »
Yep, it was Hi-Tech Expressions, and yes, it endorsed by Capcom.  (As far as I can tell.)

Offline Frenkel

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2007, 03:05:39 am »
Actually, Duke Nukem 'borrowed' from Mega Man. Mega Man is from 1990 and Duke Nukem from 1991. Duke Nukem I and Duke Nukem II also 'borrowed' from Turrican and Savage.

Here's some proof:

http://www.nemmelheim.de/turrican/news/duke/

http://www.student.tue.nl/p/f.a.m.smeijers/sfp/games/duke1.htm

http://dosclassics.com/duke/1other.php

http://dosclassics.com/duke/2other.php

(BTW is there a way to make these links clickable?)

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2007, 05:53:27 am »
Wow, cool find Frenkel! For shame Apogee, :P

Oh and Frenkel, basic abilities like being able to make links with the tags isn't available to new users... Yeah, it sucks.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2007, 10:48:06 am »
So THAT'S why it is taking so long for Duke Nukem Forever to be released.  The game developers must be trying to figure out how to rip sprites from modern 3D games!

Offline marioman

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2007, 06:47:04 am »
Any idea when the Mega Man PC maps will be put up?  Just a reminder that they are here.

Offline marioman

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2007, 07:11:33 am »
Update 5/13/07:

It looks like Geminiman is going to work on Mega Man X2 next.  He has ripped maps for Crystal Snail and Wheel Gator.  8 to go...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2007, 08:05:48 pm »
Since I did a massive update to catch up, which also covers nearly every major section, I might as well put those Mega Man (PC) maps up to get something from the PC section up today too!  What a day!

EDIT: Okay, the Mega Man (PC) maps are up.  You can check them off your list, marioman.

Offline marioman

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2007, 07:29:23 am »
Update 5/21/07:

OK, as Jon said, Mega Man PC is done.  I am impressed with the way that Frenkel figured out how to rip them.  Thanks a lot!

Also, two more Mega Man X2 maps have been ripped.  X-Hunter Base Stages 4 and 5 have been added.  Geminiman is really moving through X2.  I would guess it will be finished in the next month or so.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2007, 02:47:56 pm »
I'll let you check it off your list, marioman, but I just put up Geminiman's map for Magna Centipede's stage in Mega Man X 2.

Offline marioman

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2007, 07:49:39 pm »
Update 5/27/07:

OK, done.  Thanks.  I also added a 5 or less section for Mega Man X2.  Geminiman is on the home stretch.

I am still pondering ZX.  I may be able to figure out exactly how many maps should be made in the next few weeks.  It is a little difficult to determine because the world is not exactly continuous like Castlevania or Metroid.  It looks like there are doors that you can go through and end up on the other side of the background.  That makes it a little confusing.

Offline marioman

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2007, 06:46:17 pm »
I would like to ask a question concerning the Mega Man ZX maps.  From a mapper's point of view, which would be the easier/better way to map the different areas?  Should the maps be split up by sub-area (A-1, A-2, etc.), should there just be one big map?

I would think that there should be one large map for the following reason:

The advantage of mapping by sub-areas is that the map will not be broken up as in Mandi's map.  On the other hand, some of the sub-areas have multiple rooms, and the discontinuities will exist anyway.  (But the number of discontinuities will be slightly reduced.)  If there will be discontinuities anyway, I say that we just make one big map.

Any feedback?  If I can get some input, I will update the first post to reflect whatever decision is made.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2007, 06:59:47 pm »
Difficult to say, since I haven't played the game. I guess it depends on how coherent the whole thing would look put together. I do suspect that it would make for a *huge* map though.

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2007, 01:16:10 pm »
Just a little visual representation:

If a big map is put together, it will look similar to this:

http://www.interordi.com/mega_man_pc/games/mmzx/maps/OverallMap.gif

Is you can see, there will be some discontinuities when you go through one of those doors in the background.

However, there will still be discontinuities in many sub-areas.  Here is an example for Area C-1:

http://www.interordi.com/mega_man_pc/games/mmzx/maps/AreaC-1.PNG

Offline marioman

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2007, 10:48:34 am »
Made a few modifications to the list:

1.  I decided that it would probably be best to rip Mega Man ZX on an area-by-area basis.  I tried to make a big map using the area maps on Mega Man PC, but it would just be too discontinuous to be useful.

2.  I found that is the Mega Man Zero world is cleverly mapped, it can be reduced to just three maps.  Now Mega Man Zero is in the 5 maps or less category.

That's all for now.