Author Topic: 2007/01: Donkey Kong (Game Boy) - Captain Drake  (Read 27855 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
2007/01: Donkey Kong (Game Boy) - Captain Drake
« on: December 31, 2006, 11:41:33 pm »
User posted image
Donkey Kong

For this month's "Maps of the Month" featurette, I wish to draw your attention to Captain Drake's Donkey Kong (Game Boy) maps.

A new year means a new beginning.  A chance to reflect on the past and to plan for the future.

In 1994, Nintendo looked back to the game that made them so successful back in 1981.  Shigeru Miyamoto's arcade masterpiece, the original Donkey Kong, was remade - thirteen years after its initial arcade appearance - and was released along with the launch of the Super Game Boy.  The Super Game Boy could play any Game Boy game through the Super NES, but this version of Donkey Kong used predetermined and enhanced colour palettes along with its own arcade cabinet-style borders to provide a fuller console experience, though none of the gameplay was lost if played on a Game Boy.

The gameplay started out the same as the arcade version, with the four original stages where Mario climbed a construction site to save Pauline from the clutches of the mischievous ape, Donkey Kong.  But after the fourth stage, Donkey Kong is not yet defeated, and Mario must chase him through another 97 stages in another nine worlds.  This is so much more than a remake!  The stages had new obstacles and puzzle elements, but Mario's repertoire of new moves can lead him to a happy ending.

Another thing that can lead you to a happy ending are the maps that Captain Drake has assembled.  He has mapped all 101 stages, which should come in handy when solving your way to Pauline.

Thirteen years after the more-than-a-remake of a then-thirteen-year-old game, VGMaps.com acknowledges this Super Game Boy masterpiece.

So to recognize the effort put into making these classic maps, Captain Drake's Donkey Kong maps will be known as VGMaps.com's Maps of the Month for January 2007.

Offline Captain Drake

RE: 2007/01: Donkey Kong (Game Boy) - Captain Drake
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 01:49:10 pm »
Awesome, thanks.

Offline Captain Drake

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 01:55:48 pm »
Oh yeah, could you edit all the Stage 0/1/2/3/etc. to the actual level names?

They are (In order): Construction Site, Big City, Forest, Ship, Jungle, Desert, Airplane, Iceberg, Rocky Valley and Tower.

Yeah, simple names, but they're called that in the game.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 02:39:37 pm »
Excellent game and definitely MotM worthy. The only bad thing is that I've only played it only two or three times. :(

---

Dot? Dot. Dot!

Offline Revned

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 02:42:51 pm »
I used to love this game when I was a kid. It was long and challenging, and Mario had some pretty cool moves. I considered mapping this myself awhile back, but Captain Drake did a fine job. Congratulations!

Offline NFG

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 06:18:41 am »
Amazingly hard work.  I hate to think how much extra effort it would take to do them all over again with a SuperGameBoy emulator to get all the extra colours in the maps.  =)

If you like this game, I heartily recommend Mario vs Donkey Kong for GBA.  My review:  http://nfggames.com/games/mariovdk/

Offline NFG

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 06:24:16 am »
Dang, can't edit my post.  After checking it seems that the extra colours weren't used in the game levels themselves, but in the menus and other screens.  So never mind!

Offline marioman

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 07:25:57 am »
A complete set Mario Vs. DK maps has just been completed by Peardian.  MVsDK is basically just Donkey Kong GB 2 - same general idea.