Author Topic: NiGHTS into dreams - Score Attack (GBA)  (Read 10994 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

NiGHTS into dreams - Score Attack (GBA)
« on: May 03, 2007, 10:05:15 pm »
Here's a little something I've been working on this week. It's NiGHTS on the GBA! What's NiGHTS? Well, if you never heard of it, "NiGHTS: Into Dreams" was one of the most famous titles for the defunct Sega Saturn, though despite its reputation it wasn't succesful enough to merit a sequel until now, since a sequel for Wii is coming in the future :) !

Anyway, this mini-game was apparently something you could download on your GBA while playing Phantasy Star Online for the GameCube, and consists of four rounds where you have to collect all the spheres and pass through all the loops before time runs out. Once the fourth is finished, the rounds loop again, the ultimate goal being to achieve the highest score possible.

So, here are the maps. They look a bit cluttered I know, but I did my best to include everything. For the second layer for example, I altered the colors since they were identical to those of the foreground and you couldn't tell where one ended and the other started otherwise. Also, since the loops use a pseudo-3D effect while in-game and thus changed all the time, I show them as they look when viewed straight from the side.

This is pretty much a submission JonLeung, optimized ad best I could, so feel free to upload them to the site. Now, back to Sonic CD!

Game Logo:

User posted image

Round 1:

User posted image

Round 2:

User posted image

Round 3:

User posted image

Round 4:

User posted image

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

B*tch, meet reality. Reality, meet b*tch. - Me
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

RE: NiGHTS into dreams - Score Attack (GBA)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 06:17:13 am »
Quite amusing.  Although it looks a little easy, and you can only play Spring Valley.  :(  

Nice maps.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 06:55:06 am »
Yeah, but that's to be expected from a mini-game. I wonder how much could have been done if they'd tried to make a full game on the GBA...

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:39:35 am »
Almost wonder why they didn't.  People kept clamoring for a sequel, the GBA was hot at the time (and is still no lightweight now, despite few good games, if any, left to be released), and they clearly had a start on it.

Maybe the mini-game format was an afterthought after whatever reason prevented them to make a full game.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 10:03:32 am »
It's a shame though, because it was already a good start. The original game had 2D gameplay within a 3D world anyway, and as you can hear in Sonic Pinball Party, the NiGHTS soundtrack can sound good on the GBA (the NiGHTS table had about a dozen songs from the Saturn game). Oh well, at least a true sequel is coming. You know, I'm really starting to think I need to set aside a Wii budget. With Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, NiGHTS, and Super Mario Galaxy, the list of games I'd like keeps getting longer.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)