Author Topic: A new acronym for Gameboy  (Read 27083 times)

Offline Will

A new acronym for Gameboy
« on: May 12, 2008, 12:13:33 pm »
Have you ever considered a mix up with game port initials for something else? Well try this.

Sega Master System (SMS)- Mix that up with the mobile acronym.

Gameboy (GB) - Mix that up with Gigabyte

Sega Master System maps are mostly already named Master System to avoid an obvious confusion, but what about Gameboy. I think Gameboy should be renamed Gameboy Monochrome (GBM). No one has ever called Gameboy, Gameboy Monochrome but I have adopted that title in the popuw.com forums and it makes perfect sense, to all visitors. Don't you wish Gameboy Monochrome was called that in the Gameboy section? It would be fun to adopt that title, only isn't original. I wonder what Nintendo would think of this.

Offline Raccoon Sam

RE: A new acronym for Gameboy
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 01:20:48 pm »
I always mix up SMS too. Super Mario Sunshine? Sega Master System? eeegh

Offline Revned

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:07:25 pm »
Actually, Nintendo used DMG to refer to the Game Boy in serial numbers and part numbers. I think it stands for Dot Matrix Game.

While there are shared acronyms, I don't think it's much of a problem. It's all about context. If I'm looking down a list of game system names, I'm not going to associate SMS with cell phones or GB with memory sizes.

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 02:42:19 pm »
So wait, Raccoon Sam... can you make me some SMS maps?

<_< that's not a real request... but if I asked you... would you make Super Mario Sunshine, Sega Master System, or Short Message Service maps (or would you ask first? <_<)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 08:17:21 pm »
Will Said:
Have you ever considered a mix up with game port initials for something else? Well try this.

Sega Master System (SMS)- Mix that up with the mobile acronym.

Gameboy (GB) - Mix that up with Gigabyte

Sega Master System maps are mostly already named Master System to avoid an obvious confusion, but what about Gameboy. I think Gameboy should be renamed Gameboy Monochrome (GBM). No one has ever called Gameboy, Gameboy Monochrome but I have adopted that title in the popuw.com forums and it makes perfect sense, to all visitors. Don't you wish Gameboy Monochrome was called that in the Gameboy section? It would be fun to adopt that title, only isn't original. I wonder what Nintendo would think of this.
User posted image

User posted image

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 08:38:45 pm »
Suddenly I feel like playing some Megaman and Starfox...

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline Eggz

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 08:41:05 pm »
I'm of a mind with Revned; if your looking at game lists and you come across those acronyms, Game Boy and Sega Master System are probably going to be the first things that come to mind. It all comes down to what's relevant at that particular time. If we start naming off all identical or similar acronyms for everything, we could be listing forever. It all comes down to coincidence.

And for the most part most people recognize those acronyms for the different game systems. If we all of a sudden switched the listing in the atlas without real reason, people would get confused (based on the assumption that most people are idiots), especially those that aren't regulars here but just use the site to get the maps to help them through games.

---

This looks like a job for Science!
This looks like a job for Science!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 09:48:06 pm »
I was going to mention the DMG thing that Revend already did...

Technically these aren't acronyms...I believe acronyms are supposed to spell something, and "GB" by itself isn't a word.

Then there's "GCN", the official abbreviation for the GameCube.  Everyone thought "NGC" meant Neo-Geo Color but that's because they're not familiar with the Neo-Geo line...the Neo-Geo is obviously in colour and the Neo-Geo Pocket Color would be "NGPC".

Then there's the PlayStation, which seemed to be PSX, but then they released a Japan-only PS2 with extra media functions called the PSX.  There's the PSOne but I think that should refer only to the redesign, and by extension, some people call the PS2 Slim the PSTwo.  I remember someone calling the PS2 the SP2 because she thought the S stood for "Sony" and P the whole "PlayStation".  I avoid calling the original the PS1 since the "1" is kind of a backwards term, like naming movies with a "1" (except in obvious cases like Loaded Weapon 1 or whatever that Lethal Weapon paroday was called).  Then again we all refer to Transformers as Generation 1 even though it wasn't at the time...  :P

I don't see a point to call the Game Boy the Game Boy Monochrome.  Does monochrome mean black-and-white or does it include shades of grey?  And the original design didn't really look black-and-white, really.  The Game Boy Pocket was closer to it, but the original was more like shades of green, wasn't it?  :P  In context it's easy to tell if you mean the original Game Boy specifically or if you mean the whole Game Boy line of handhelds in general.

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 06:10:16 am »
At first I though the PSOne was the PlayStation, but then I found out (a long time ago), that the PlayStation was the original console released in 1994 (OMG time flies etc) and the PSOne was released in 2000 around the time the PlayStation 2 was originally released XD

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 08:11:11 am »
I've always thought that acronyms in terms of consoles and handhelds were pretty self-explanatory:

NES

SNES

N64

GB

GBC

GBA

DS

VB

GC

SMS

GG

GEN

32X

SCD (a bit obscure though)

SAT

PSX

PS2

PSP

There. I think that covers all the "relevant" systems :D

---

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." [...] The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Current projects: Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man V (GB), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 12:19:21 pm »
I avoid "SNES" because I remember hearing that "Super NES" was the preferred, official-as-per-Nintendo term, at least during its lifespan...you'll notice that's why I don't use "SNES" in that section.  That's also why I use "GCN" for GameCube.

Kind of hard to do the Xboxes with less than four letters..."XBX" looks weird and "360" is incomplete.  I guess those would be "XBOX" and "X360".

I also don't consider those Microsoft consoles relevant, Terra.  :P  Not as long as the majority of the good games are also on the PC.  (Oops, my fanboy is showing...  >:P)  Sorry that Dead Rising alone isn't enough for me to consider the Xbox 360.

Then there's "Wii"...which doesn't need abbreviating.  It sure required plenty of explaining when it was revealed, though.  :P

And DS...or sometimes "NDS"...Nintendo stated that DS doesn't officially stand for anything, I think.  Kind of like how "DVD" and "SATs" no longer have official long names, after previously standing for a couple things.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 01:35:33 pm »
So wait... Digital Video Disc and Digital Versatile Disc no longer actually "exist"?

And by SATs ... what do you mean?

Offline Will

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 01:47:51 pm »
Actually NDS does stand for something. It stands for Nintendo Dual Screen, and the reason is more than obvious. Wii, I am not sure why its called that, but every port has its own respectable code. I never knew the first Gameboy was dot matrix. Isn't that an old type of printer? I just thought the Gameboy Monochrome would match with the black & white and grayscale graphics, because not only does it mean black & white and grayscale but it also sounds very fancy. I just love fancy words to go with certain objects, computers are one of them.  

Offline marioman

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 03:00:58 pm »
I also don't consider those Microsoft consoles relevant, Terra. :P Not as long as the majority of the good games are also on the PC.

Me neither.  I can't figure out why Microsoft and Sony are not just making high-end PCs instead of limiting themselves to a consoles.  They could make all-in-one entertainment PCs which could interface with all of your media and play any PC game imaginable.

Offline Revned

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 03:03:58 pm »
Will Said:
Actually NDS does stand for something. It stands for Nintendo Dual Screen, and the reason is more than obvious. Wii, I am not sure why its called that, but every port has its own respectable code. I never knew the first Gameboy was dot matrix. Isn't that an old type of printer? I just thought the Gameboy Monochrome would match with the black & white and grayscale graphics, because not only does it mean black & white and grayscale but it also sounds very fancy. I just love fancy words to go with certain objects, computers are one of them.  

"Monochrome" actually means "one color", in the sense that you use one color on your canvas. It can be black on white, red on blue, or any combination of two colors, but not grayscale.