Author Topic: A new acronym for Gameboy  (Read 27134 times)

Offline marioman

RE: A new acronym for Gameboy
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 04:05:31 pm »
But does it really matter?  We are kind of reinventing the wheel here...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 04:32:09 pm »
Will Said:
Actually NDS does stand for something. It stands for Nintendo Dual Screen, and the reason is more than obvious. Wii, I am not sure why its called that, but every port has its own respectable code. I never knew the first Gameboy was dot matrix. Isn't that an old type of printer? I just thought the Gameboy Monochrome would match with the black & white and grayscale graphics, because not only does it mean black & white and grayscale but it also sounds very fancy. I just love fancy words to go with certain objects, computers are one of them.  

Not officially, not the last time I checked, even though "Dual Screen" is obviously what is meant by that.  As to if there's a difference between what is official and what it's obviously supposed to be, you got me.

"Dot matrix" doesn't have to do with just printing.  It is, as it sounds, a matrix of dots, which both old printers and the low-res black-and-white-and-grey GB screen have in common.

You can call it the GB Monochrome if you really want, and most people would know what you meant, but asking everyone to adopt that is another story.  You're adding three syllables to something that was originally two.

There's no point to say "EWJ" when "Earthworm Jim" actually has less syllables.  Maybe that's not related but I like that one.

And for goodness sakes, Will, Game Boy is TWO WORDS!  >:P

Offline Eggz

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 09:30:36 pm »
As to what the "Wii" name means, it's not an abbreviation or anything, but I read in a nintendo press release somewhere that, to accentuate their new audience of casual gamers, the changed the name of the console from "Revolution" to "Wii" because it incorporates the idea of a more widespread audience; as in "Wii all play together" = "We all play together." It's just a play on words, and so that they can have their small little i's to bow to people in commercials.

Also, there's the speculation that Revolution came off as too harsh of a name and would only really strike a chord with hardcore gamers, while Wii was less aggressive. Then add to that there was all the press, jokes and jabs at the new name that spread like wildfire. Yeah, it has a stupid name, but word got out there, better than it did for any console.

The marketing department just put way too much thought into it as far as I'm concerned.

---

This looks like a job for Science!

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 03:37:48 am »
I also heard that the 2 i's were supposed to represent the Wii-motes as well.

Offline Eggz

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 09:12:37 am »
I doubt that, since you can have up to 4 wiimotes playing at the same time, not just 2.

---

Offline Maxim

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 09:15:27 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Name

Covers most of what you've mentioned.

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 02:03:49 pm »
The only one I've had minor trouble with is PS2 and PS/2.  Only in a verbal sense though.

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 10:21:09 pm »
Will said:
Sega Master System (SMS)- Mix that up with the mobile acronym.
Super Mario Sunshine?

JonLeung said:
I avoid "SNES" because I remember hearing that "Super NES" was the preferred, official-as-per-Nintendo term, at least during its lifespan...you'll notice that's why I don't use "SNES" in that section.
Eh, I still think it's weird to abbreviate only part of a name, just as I think it's weird that AIM contains an abbreviation of an abbreviation.  (Shouldn't it be AOIM or AOLIM?)

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 07:39:26 am »
Using that logic GIMP would be GNUIMP and GTK would be GNUIMPTK.  The abbreviation/acronym doesn't become very useful at that point.

Offline Revned

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 09:42:36 am »
Actually, you couldn't write "GNU" without nested acronyms.