Author Topic: 2009 April Fools' Project brainstorming  (Read 79403 times)

Offline marioman

RE: 2009 April Fools' Project brainstorming
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2009, 01:59:47 pm »
JonLeung said:

I heard about that. Not going to use that though, that's from the perspective of the Space Pirates.

Yeah, I was thinking that you could simply add something about that to the description.  (It's called Metroid Dread because there is a mode where you can play at the Space Pirates and you get to feel the dread of fighting Samus, or something of the like...)

JonLeung said:

I think I must be coming off sounding like a real jerk, at the dozens of people who have asked to make a fan game based around Oracle Of Hours. I tell them they'd be better off making their own fan game around their own ideas, and I get the feeling some of them don't listen and still intend to rip everything off exactly as it is. Then they bug me on MSN asking if I want to test it. No thanks. ... Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Oracle Of Hours has ignited a lot of interest, but after a while it really gets annoying when other people think they can get something more out of it than I intended.

Well, I guess popularity comes with a price...  :P  It would be nice to see someone competent turn it into a fan game, but skilled fan game designers who actually finish their games are hard to find.

Offline Will

« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2009, 02:23:07 pm »
I sincerely doubt they get those maps to work on it, even if they paid 500 bucks for it. I'm not sure I can understand why Mega Man X Solid didn't catch people's attention any more than Oracle of Hours. I guess RPGs are more popular than platformers. I wonder how much attention Metroid Dread will recieve when its out.

Offline marioman

« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2009, 07:58:37 am »
OoH was based on a real game that was cancelled.  MMXS, on the other hand, was not.  Metroid Dread is in the same category as OoH, so it will be interesting to see how much attention it really gets.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2009, 08:01:12 am »
Hard to believe that, including today, there are 20 days left for me to do this.  I remember when I had a hundred days to go, but the days just creeped right by!

I've nearly finished tiling the second-last area, the texturing will begin right away, and then I have to go back and add some rooms to previous areas - you know, backtracking stuff.  Then I have to create the whole final area, but that should go a LOT faster since I essentially don't have to plan out any item placement or tricky puzzles - it'll take like one or two days instead of one or two weeks.

I still have to do the adding of the backgrounds and a polish-and-tweak phase but those are considerbly more fun - or at least a welcome change of pace after all that I've been doing so far.

I'm nearly at the home stretch!  :)

I regret not being as efficient with my time as I am now a lot earlier, then it wouldn't be so close...but I'm confident that I will make it, maybe moreso now that the end is in sight.

Some of the early comments in this topic are kind of funny, looking back on them...

I think this will be the last big one...by that I mean, one that I have to spend so much time on.  I have a silly idea about one that could be a lot easier to do for next year...maybe I'll keep that idea to myself, if it's easy as I think it could be.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2009, 03:51:19 pm »
Well, so much for my idea for next year...  >_<

Which apparently wasn't my original idea despite coming up with it on my own...

Actually it was going to be Mother 3 on the Virtual Boy but that would require us having maps of Mother 3 first...  >_<

Offline Will

« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2009, 12:36:16 pm »
While you're intent on a Virtual Boy game, I have my influencing idea. It took me three weeks to make this map, so I hope you like it. I had the idea of a believable April Fools joke for an unexisting Sega Genesis game I call "Mega Man 2 - The Robot Rampage". If you look at this map, you'll see that I used the Game Gear Toad Man level as a frame to design a new look. The changes are the rain texture, the flowing water texture, the brick and wall texture, the sprite of Toad Man and the starting icon of Toad Man. So when you compare both this map and my ripped Game Gear together, it may be influencing to resume this project for 2010 April Fools project. Napalm Man, Stone Man, Wave Man, Star Man and Bright Man should be easy to recreate into Genesis levels, but the others are a very different matter and would require a lot of tinkering.

Anyway what will be for next year? Do you find my idea suitable or will it be something else?

Offline marioman

« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2009, 09:15:05 pm »
Two weeks!  Can't wait.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2009, 07:38:17 am »
*stresses out*

I'm still on track to finishing it though, but as always, I wish it wasn't down to the wire.

I have (had?) three social engagements this week, which I was having difficulty which I would choose to go to, but being sick, the choice has been made for me.  It's like a sign that I need to stay home to get this done, and being fluish is a valid enough reason.

When it's done, I hope it doesn't disappoint.  There will always be things I know I should've/could've done on my end, but of course I'm always going to be a harsh judge of myself.  I'm fairly certain more people will still consider The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Hours the best of all of them so far, but I hope Metroid Dread pulls in second at least.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2009, 12:33:42 pm »
Hey, I don't suppose someone can send me a screenshot from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption of the Space Pirate's code entry thing, could they?  You know, showing their weird symbols and stuff.  I don't think I have a save point where any of that is still accessible.

If you could email a shot to me (or send it to my Wii if you unlocked the camera within the game), that would be great...  I didn't have any luck with Google ImageSearch...

Offline marioman

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2009, 12:49:59 pm »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2009, 04:55:26 pm »
Ha ha, that's exactly the picture I was planning on using pretty soon...

EDIT: Ahhh, here we go...thanks for suggesting IGN.

User posted image

Offline marioman

« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2009, 06:04:01 pm »
Oh, I guess I misunderstood what you were looking for.  I thought that you meant the Space Pirate logbook entry.  Anyway, glad you found the image you were looking for.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2009, 09:24:27 pm »
Phew!  Finally placed the 100th item!  (It was a hidden Energy Tank near the beginning, but inaccessible the first time you pass through that room...)

Actually, I placed something like 15 or 16 items today alone...silly Missile Tanks...  >_>

I still have quite a bit left to do in these last few days, though...at least it won't require thinking about item placement.

Hey, since I don't think the room count will change anymore, guess how many rooms there are, total!

Offline marioman

« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2009, 01:20:35 pm »
Let's see...  100 items, and typically every 5th room in a Metroid game has an item.  500?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2009, 02:17:56 pm »
Haha, no.  Higher.