Author Topic: 2009 April Fools' Project brainstorming  (Read 79411 times)

Offline RT 55J

RE: 2009 April Fools' Project brainstorming
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2009, 03:02:25 pm »
Over 900?

Oh, and by "rooms" do you mean "squares on the map" or "contiguous areas separated by doors"?

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2009, 03:27:57 pm »
I guess I actually mean "squares on the map".  :P

There's a strange room of indeterminate height that might remind people of a particular boss fight from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption...but I count that as one square for the purposes of this count.

And the number of these squares is less than 900.

Offline marioman

« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2009, 06:48:37 pm »
RT-55J said

Over 9000!!!!!!!

Fixed!  :P

JonLeund said:

And the number of these squares is less than 900.

So...  500 < #rooms < 900

How about 700?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2009, 02:16:55 pm »
Getting closer, but still a little low.

Whoops, I put two extra Missile Tanks in the second area. Good thing I spotted them...wouldn't want to have 102 items...

Man, I am so dreading this weekend.  Which was not meant to be a pun when I was thinking it, but is pretty clearly one now that I wrote it out...

If I miss an update this weekend, we'll know why.

Offline Will

« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2009, 02:16:58 pm »
Best of luck. I can't wait to see how the project looks.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2009, 07:04:32 am »
*stresses out*

I will certainly have this done on time, but it will be down to the wire, and I think some of you will be very amused when I get around to explaining the whole process in detail, especially what I left for the final week, and moreso, what is done on the final two days.  :P

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2009, 12:36:05 pm »
User posted image
...And I'm REALLY cutting it close, methinks.

In local time, I have less than eleven and a half hours left.

Offline marioman

« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2009, 04:48:06 pm »
Can't wait.  Good luck.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2009, 11:13:23 pm »
I think I have defined "down to the wire"...

It'll be up in a few minutes.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2009, 11:15:22 pm »
Don't worry. Midnight is well over an hour away in my time zone. :P

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2009, 11:22:04 pm »
11:21 PM...and it's up!  :D  FINALLY!

(Also, Peardian submitted a joke for today, too.  :P  Check out the Super Mario RPG - Booster Hill map...)

I'll have to spread the word about Metroid Dread before going to bed though...any help you can offer would be appreciated.  :P

Oh yeah, maybe when that April Fool's 2009 article about Internet jokes/pranks comes up on Wikipedia, someone should add it...

EDIT: That's odd, I can't seem to find where the yearly April Fools' Day listing is...  :/

I suppose I should go to bed...  :P

By the way, the answer to the question earlier is: 789 rooms, including elevator shafts.  That's 38,780,928 pixels, or 151,488 tiles.  (That's raw final size - I had to handle less due to empty space, but also more due to backgrounds and water/lava.)  The number of rooms in the major areas comes out pretty close to each other by coincidence - two of them have exactly 153.  But I can go into the more interesting details later.

Offline marioman

« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2009, 08:14:21 am »
Jon, I must say that you have exceptional skill at creating levels from scratch.  I am looking at the Metroid Dread maps and I am amazed at how good the level design is.  Great job.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2009, 08:15:10 am »
I'd really know what people think, and I'd like to share a few details about the whole process (like I said, you'd be amused as what was left to the last few hours), but I think we'll do that in the main public topic about Metroid Dread a bit later, like maybe tomorrow, or whenever the beans are spilled.  :)

(What did I do with last year's brainstorming topic?  Did I eventually move it to the public area?  Did I close it?  I guess I'll look for it later.)

Thanks again to marioman for the idea of Metroid Dread.  :)

EDIT: LOL, marioman just posted while I was writing that.  Thanks, marioman...it certainly wasn't easy.  I have some other people to thank, but it will all come later when I get my notes sorted out.

Offline marioman

« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2009, 03:49:37 pm »
I don't know where the best place is to post this, but has Wileee said anything about his Super Metroid maps lately?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2009, 07:31:05 am »
From what I recall...

I asked him a while back about the Super Metroid maps.  That was maybe a year ago?  (I probably mentioned it earlier in this very topic, when Metroid Dread was becoming the best option...)  Then he said he agreed that he would get them for me (I don't remember if he ever said Edsword agreed or not).

Then I think he didn't say anything more for a little while, and didn't send anything, so I recall sending him in a friendly reminder.  He responded, and I think this was also friendly, by pointing out that he's busy with family and kids and stuff like that.  Then he sent me the high-res Norfair map in .PNG format.

Since then, I've heard nothing from him or Edsword, and I'm hesitant to remind him again.

I probably mentioned this earlier, but I wonder if Metroid Dread would've turned out differently if I had more immediate access to tiles from Super Metroid other than those in Norfair.  The answer is probably yes, though I can't say if it would've appeared any better or worse, just different.