Author Topic: 2009 April Fools' Project brainstorming  (Read 79409 times)

Offline Revned

RE: 2009 April Fools' Project brainstorming
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 06:10:30 pm »
RT 55J Said:
marioman Said:
I am sure that there is a similar utility for Super Metroid.

It's called SMILE.

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Curse my skepticism!

Offline DarkWolf

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 03:17:45 pm »
RE: Platforms for "Super Mario Bros. Super Show"

I think using IBM PC or Apple Mac would be silly.  Nintendo's games have very rarely been legitimately  ported to a PC or Apple platform.

Offline Revned

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 05:02:34 pm »
That gives me a great idea! We could make Mario Teaches Typing 2!!!!!!!

Offline marioman

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 08:17:55 pm »
Too late.  It already exists.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 04:28:39 pm »
Currently, I think that the SMB Super Show game is the best idea that has been presented here (even though I'm partial to my curling game :P). Let's do it.

BTW this link might be helpful.

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline Revned

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 04:59:20 pm »
marioman Said:
Bah humbug. Maybe I should stop posting in this topic.

Offline Will

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 03:03:43 am »
Brilliant I love the sound that we'll get this Super show on the road. Here is a prototype map of what I thought it might look like. It has the waterfall from Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past, the backgrounds, sprites and objects from SNES Super Mario All-Stars and GBA Super Mario Bros Series, and a few from Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. There are some added things to the map that never existed in any Mario game, such as snowballs, Goombas hiding in snowmen, icy stalagmites and snowcapped mountains. At the end of the map you will see a screenshot of the Birdo about to feed her baby (Toad mistaken for her baby). To me the map looks very straightforward and more like a toddler's layout.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 07:14:20 am »
I know you started this long before I made this topic, but it almost sounds like you're getting ahead of yourself, Will...

I liked the SMBSS as a kid, but I don't know about this idea.  It almost seems like this idea is too dependent on people being fans of the show.  Do we have enough fans here?  Would gamers these days be enough of fans to remember the cool episodes?  Doing something based on Captain N seems like a slightly better idea IMO, but probably not by much...

Though it does give me an idea.  How about a NES or Super NES-based Super Smash Bros.?  It would be far less work and a fair bit of fun to create 40some arenas, even if they were, like, 2 x 2 screens each...  It would allow for some creativity, yet be easier as things are meant to look like they were adapted from other games, be more flexible in allowing other people to join in or drop out during the course of working on it, and it wouldn't be a disaster if it weren't completely done (more like if we didn't have the ideal number of stages) by the end of it...  (With the timing, maybe this would've been a better joke for this year...)

(And if we wanted it to be current, we could try for a DS-based Super Smash Bros.!  Though people might expect it to have 3D N64-like graphics...)

You'd almost need to have each arena looked over by everyone else, though.  Quality control might be necessary, as it might be too easy.  Maybe we'd throw in some kind of story/adventure mode if we wanted some challenge...

In an ideal situation, (that is, if we had the time, resources, but mostly dedication) I still really like the Metroid Dread idea, but in terms of feasibility, some kind of 2D Smash Bros. would work better.

But what do you guys think?

Offline Revned

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 05:20:33 pm »
I've only ever seen a couple of the Super Show episodes, so I wouldn't be too excited about it. On the other hand, check out what I made a long time ago: <image>https://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6600/mkfv0.png</image>

Offline Will

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 02:21:18 am »
I'm surprised that Super Smash bros. has a mixture of Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Sonic and worst of all Pokemon. Isn't Sonic a Sega character? I've never liked Pokemon ever. I never thought NES game would appear for 2009 April Fools. Mostly GBA and GBC have been on April Fools in the past four years. While some of you are progressing in this decided and concluded project, I'll think about it.

Offline marioman

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 05:55:33 am »
Fun fact: There is no way on earth that Pokemon could exist in a NES or SNES Super Smash Bros Game.  (Neither can Gannondorf, Shiek, or Wario.)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 07:05:03 am »
No one said anything about a project being decided upon yet, Will.  And certainly nothing has been concluded.

You're right about how the poll seems to show my Super Kid Icarus as being unloved, marioman, though it might have to do with the general unpopularity of Kid Icarus compared to the other franchises involved.

Maybe Super Smash Bros. is a bit too simple.  And with Will, apparently controversial, heh.  (News flash to Will Mallia: yes, Sonic is a Sega character, and Pok?mon has made Nintendo more money than you'll ever see in your life.  If you denounce Sonic because he's Sega, that only makes Pok?mon more appropriate for Smash Bros.  :P)  I still like the Smash Bros. idea, especially to fall back on if whatever project we choose is deemed too difficult or not worth the trouble, but now I'm leaning towards Metroid Dread again.

I'm not sure how we'll eventually decide.  Do we want more people until a clear preference comes up?  Do we put it to a poll?  My feeling is that whatever we choose to do, I hope there will be enough dedication from those that made that choice.  I don't remember if we actually decided on Zelda: Oracle of Hours or if I just made the choice for everyone, 'cause in the end I was the only one I could expect to work on it, once it became it was too big for others to want to invest in it.

I hope the projects can be a fun group thing that can be enjoyable as we work on it, not just a thing for me to milk some more hits out of the April month.  That being said, do we go for something simple or challenging?  We also want to like the finished project for it to be worth the inevitable obstacles we'll encounter along the way.

Offline marioman

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 12:53:15 pm »
JonLeung Said:

You're right about how the poll seems to show my Super Kid Icarus as being unloved, marioman, though it might have to do with the general unpopularity of Kid Icarus compared to the other franchises involved.

Nothing personal by the way.  Just an observation...

Offline Revned

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 06:11:08 pm »
Well, I don't think my vote should count as much, because I probably won't help. I've got a full-time job this summer and a research position next school year.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 03:44:10 pm »
A 4-player Smash Bros game on the NES would be the biggest flickerfest of all time. :P An SNES version would make more sense on a technical level, and would also allow for a larger roster of characters.

Also, it's a pity that nobody is interested in Will's SMBSS idea or my curling RTS idea. :(

Metroid Dread could be somewhat feasible if we had a good pixel artist. We could import the graphics into Super Metroid and use SMILE as an ad hoc map making tool. But honestly, I'd rather do a crossover like Metroidvania* than Dread.

If all else fails, we could do a "sequel" to an NES game akin to 2007's Super Kid Icarus. I wouldn't mind Metal Storm or Blaster Master getting the SNES treatment they deserved.

In any case, I would prefer it if we decided on what we're going to do sooner rather than later.

*Bolded for emphasis.

---