Author Topic: Mega Man 9 Confirmed!?  (Read 79711 times)

Offline TerraEsperZ

RE: Mega Man 9 Confirmed!?
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2008, 10:01:29 pm »
What did I not try?
Fire a Concrete Shot at the upper magma beam while hanging from the left ladder, which will petrify it long enough to walk on it to the right-most ladder :)

---

Current projects: Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2008, 07:10:06 am »
Thanks for the tip, Terra!  Yeah, I'll definitely stock up.

The one thing that makes at least the main eight stages easier is being able to buy E-Tanks and lives in between stages.  After getting the Jewel Satellite, and thanks to TerraEsperZ mentioning its infinite usage, there were a couple places I found I could exploit it to gain Screws (and lives) easily without touching the controller.  Infinite loops FTW!  This will hurt my chances of finishing the game fast enough to get at least that one achievement, though.

In Plug Man's stage, after the disappearing blocks and towards the end of that room are two pipes facing right that continuously spawn those little round robots.  By using the Jewel Satellite when standing at the bottom beneath the pipes' openings, the enemies just keep flowing downward to their down and you can reap their items.  (If you take a step to the left to bring the left pipe in view, it's not as effective because the left pipe is farther, and the angle they come in make the items they drop get stuck at the pipe.)

In Hornet Man's stage, there are some robots that resemble potted plants that continuously shoot plant missiles at you.  I stood to the right of a group of (at least) three of them near the end of the stage and found that with the Jewel Satellite on, two of them will shoot missiles that home in such a way that they are eliminated directly above Mega Man so he can once again build up items easily.  (I found that if I shifted to the left, ie. right up against the short wall/ledge/step, the third one over will also shoot missiles, but then you can't get its items because they end up on that very ledge, and you also miss out on the items from the closest robot pot.  So it's best to go for two.)

There are probably other places this can be done, but those are the two I came across.  Hopefully I can find one near the beginning of a stage that are at least as fast, but then again I'm probably not going to get a good time anyway...and it doesn't take that long to get through the stages, and I shouldn't need to do this too many more times at this point...  I will have to revisit those areas to max out on Screws before tackling Wily's fortress.

Offline marioman

« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2008, 04:34:21 pm »
http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7451

The person here claims to have tilesets for Mega Man 9.  I haven't downloaded them myself, but anyone interested in mapping Mega Man 9 may be interested in these.

Offline Revned

« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2008, 05:29:36 pm »
Doesn't seem to be real. It's a .nes file that doesn't do anything in my emulators.

Offline marioman

« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2008, 05:38:12 pm »
Just downloaded the file.  (I plan to play MM9 soon, so I am reluctant to look up anything at the moment.)  Open the "ROM" in a tile/sprite viewer and you should see the tiles.

Offline Revned

« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2008, 06:02:12 pm »
Huh, you're right. It doesn't make sense to me why he went to all the trouble putting them in a dummy ROM.... Anyway, that forum has some colored versions as well.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2008, 10:28:41 pm »
Whew!  I just finished the game!  On my first serious run through Dr. Wily's, but it was pretty close.

I lost several lives on the stupid anti-grav room that ends with spikes.  I used E-Tanks a lot, including two AND the M-Tank while fitting that Yellow/Green Devil Blob boss.  I just used my last E-Tank as the last phase of Dr. Wily began, so it was neck-and-neck 'til the end but I beat him.  Hooray for shotgunning Magma!  :D

I like how you briefly see at the end why Mega Man & Bass does indeed "count".  Yet for some reason they keep saying that this follows the events of Mega Man 8...whatever.

I don't know if I'll replay it...if I do it won't be anytime soon, I have enough to do...but I only got 20% of the "achievements", so perhaps I should.

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2008, 04:01:02 pm »
I had to go through the castle three times. The first time I gave up on the double-devil boss, and the second time I used all of my E-Tanks on the same boss. The third time I managed to beat Wily with over 4 E-Tanks left. I guess it just goes to show that memorization is key in Mega Man games. :P

Overall, this is definitely a top-tier Mega Man game in my book. The level design, music, and weapon balance are all superb. In fact, I'm almost willing to say that this is better that 2, 5, 5GB, and Bass (my previous favorites).

Also, I wouldn't mind if somebody "upgraded" 3-6 to have cutscenes like this game. Sure, they each had one cutscene, but all they did was introduce the second fortress.

I also noticed the same thing about MM&B in the ending. It's too bad that they didn't show any of the GB games. :( I really like them.

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman