Author Topic: Mega Man 9 Confirmed!?  (Read 79691 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Mega Man 9 Confirmed!?
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2008, 10:09:49 pm »
Same with Revned, I haven't put in much time, and beat Galaxy Man in the little time I did.  I lost all but one of my lives on spikes (silly, really), then faced off against Galaxy Man.  When I got Game Over at him, I just started a new game and the stage is a breeze once you've played it once and know what to watch out for.

I saw the map we have up here of Plug Man's stage, so I'm concerned about those disappearing blocks...  >_<

Offline Revned

« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2008, 10:34:03 pm »
Is Galaxy Man the one you're supposed to start with? I'm playing it the old-fashioned way and finding out the order on my own. Neither Concrete Man nor Tornado Man is weak to the Jewel Satellite :-(

I didn't find the disappearing blocks too difficult, but I accidentally hit a spike on my last life.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2008, 06:50:17 am »
I probably shouldn't've looked on the GameFAQs boards but Galaxy Man is one of those recommended to start with.  After him is Jewel Man, but so far that's all I remember.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2008, 10:03:33 am »
So far, I found Galaxy Man to be the easiest stage/boss combination to beat, followed by Splash Woman and then Tornado Man.

Man this game is hard. Or I've gotten too used to using savestates when playing. Either way, I've beaten five robot masters so far with six or seven game overs so far.

---

Current projects: Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2008, 12:44:21 pm »
I can't remember the last time more than a couple of us were playing the same game at about the same time, it's kinda neat.  :P

I don't think the game is that much harder than a typical classic Mega Man game, but then again having only played Galaxy Man's stage and you saying it's the easiest, maybe I'm speaking too soon.

Now, from what I heard about the "achievements"...yeah, those'll be hard.  I'll get my butt kicked trying to do those if the main game doesn't.  Like finishing a stage (or was it the whole game? o_0) without ever missing a shot?  So much for being trigger-happy.

Offline Revned

« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2008, 01:05:33 pm »
I finished all 8 robot masters this morning. There are tough spots, but it's about the same as the old games in terms of difficulty.

You actually have to beat the entire game without missing. There are also crazy ones like "beat the game once a day for three days" and "beat the game with one pixel of health left". I've gotten a few, but nothing too impressive. Best one was "reach the boss room without stopping".

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2008, 03:11:48 pm »
By hard, I'm thinking the stages themselves. I don't think I've ever had so much difficulty in any of the first six games. And I've never, *never* needed two continues to even reach a boss before. But the missing abilities like sliding and charge shot do contribute to the increased difficulty. For example, the falling boulders at the mini-boss in Jewel Man would be a lot easier to avoid by sliding.

But honestly, I think it's mostly because they *wanted* to make more difficult levels, which is nice. There are a lot more spikes, more bottomless pits and more tricky obstacles than before. And you can't keep moving forward without thinking like in the old games, because here it gets you killed fast.

Frankly, there are only two stages of old I found harder than those in this game: Heat Man for the disappearing bricks (even worse than Plug Man's) and Ice Man for those buggy platforms that would hurt you (and then let you fall to your doom) if you happened to land on them while they were firing. Of course I'm not including fortress stages here, because some of those have managed to be really tough, but I expect MM9 to kick my ass in that department too.

---

Current projects: Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2008, 09:44:22 pm »
LOL, I mastered the Plug Man disappearing blocks and did the last five times in a row without messing up.  Of course it took me more tries than that to get it right.

I was up against Plug Man on my second last life (I got tired of getting more lives from the infinitely spawning robots, and only just got the 1-Up a couple rooms before the boss) and used up all my Jewel Satellites before he killed me.  Then on my last life, I tried again, even with no Jewel Satellites, but I used an Energy Tank and thought I had it for sure.  But Plug Man did his stupid hop that just misses my rapid buster shots, and then he killed me when he only had one sliver of health left!  %^@#!

Then I went back home, bought three Energy Tanks (I could've bought more, what with all the Screws I accumulated when I was hunting for 1-Ups) and tackled the stage again, getting past the disappearing blocks for the fifth time and beat it on my first life this time around.  :P

It's not too frustratingly hard.  The challenge level is pretty good as it is, hopefully it doesn't get too bad but I'm still early on.  >_>

Offline RT 55J

« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2008, 09:51:26 pm »
TerraEsperZ Said:
By hard, I'm thinking the stages themselves. I don't think I've ever had so much difficulty in any of the first six games. And I've never, *never* needed two continues to even reach a boss before. But the missing abilities like sliding and charge shot do contribute to the increased difficulty. For example, the falling boulders at the mini-boss in Jewel Man would be a lot easier to avoid by sliding.

But honestly, I think it's mostly because they *wanted* to make more difficult levels, which is nice. There are a lot more spikes, more bottomless pits and more tricky obstacles than before. And you can't keep moving forward without thinking like in the old games, because here it gets you killed fast.

Frankly, there are only two stages of old I found harder than those in this game: Heat Man for the disappearing bricks (even worse than Plug Man's) and Ice Man for those buggy platforms that would hurt you (and then let you fall to your doom) if you happened to land on them while they were firing. Of course I'm not including fortress stages here, because some of those have managed to be really tough, but I expect MM9 to kick my ass in that department too.

---

Dust Man's level from MM3 GB is five times harder than both of those levels combined.

---

"its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys" - John Freeman

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2008, 10:17:53 pm »
Well, I wasn't factoring in the GB games since I haven't played them nearly as much as the NES ones. I'll take your word for it :)

A nice thing is how useful the weapons are in stages compared to some games where you only use them to beat the bosses and that's it.

Jewel Satellite makes Plug Man's stage incredibly easier by virtue of it being able to kill an infinite amount of enemies with a single use.

Hornet Chaser is both a Ring Shot and a sort of Spark Chaser rolled up in one and allows easy collection of those items placed near spikes/death traps.

And from what I've seen of the first stage of Wily's Fortress, looks like the Tornado Blow is integral in getting through.

Let me state again how happy I am that they integrated many puzzle elements in the stages this time around.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2008, 11:06:28 pm »
There are even more puzzles that require specific weapons later in the castle. It's quite a fun few levels.

It took me three full tries to finish Wily's Castle (omg spoiler). The first time I accidentally hit "Stage Select" instead of "Continue", and the second time I got stuck with no energy tanks on Wily. So, I begrudgingly left and bought a bunch of items, then breezed back through the castle only dying twice. I ended up using 2 tanks.

I really enjoyed the game as a whole. The level design and graphics were great. It's a worthy addition to the original series. Now to figure out how to map this...

Offline Will

« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2008, 11:54:22 am »
Jon, you remember the small speech you placed by the voting poll for Megaman 9 Wiiware "Now I've got your weapon!", isn't that a quote from the 1995 TV series of Megaman? If anyone's watched it. It's just an observation.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2008, 06:24:11 pm »
Tonight I managed to go through the fortress up to Wily's saucer but by that point I had used all the items I had in reserve including most of my special weapons. So yeah, he kicked my ass pretty bad.

---

-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline Revned

« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2008, 09:32:24 pm »
It was really easy the second time around. I even have something like 36% of the challenges completed.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2008, 09:49:06 pm »
I beat the rest of the Robot Masters today, I don't know if I'm getting better or if the stages got easier or what.  Magma Man's was a breeze, and Splash Woman's and Hornet Man's were easy too...

I made it to Wily's today but I'm going to bed now, and I'll probably have dreams of how I'm supposed to get past those magma/laser beams.

I know I can use Jewel Satellite to max out my weapons' ammo at those constantly spawning guys, then use Rush Coil to get past the single magma/laser.  Then I use Rush Coil as soon as I get up the ladder to the next screen to just be able to make it to the left ladder.  Then I can use the Concrete Shot to create a block to get to the next screen and use Laser Trident to get an E-Tank.  I go back down and now I'm wondering how to get to the next ladders over, since dropping down to a Rush Coil doesn't work since the center platform is too low.  What did I not try?

But from the sounds of it I should leave and stock up on lives and E-Tanks anyway before I continue on...