Author Topic: Wario Land 2 (GB)  (Read 70964 times)

Offline Eggz

RE: Wario Land 2 (GB)
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 01:54:13 pm »
When it comes down to laying out the different rooms in each level, it all comes down to common sense. What is the easiest way to lay them out so that the path is the most obvious. So it's really up to you.

And I know people have mentioned this to you before, but instead of spamming the board with multiple posts, just use the Edit feature to add to a previous post, otherwise the post count just gets ridiculous and too much scrolling, and makes it annoying to read.

---

This looks like a job for Science!

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 07:40:42 am »
I just collected the screenshots for Level 6 (Return the Hen to her nest), so I'll have a go at that.

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 02:13:10 pm »
But no FUCKING way am I even trying that.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 07:34:10 pm »
Well, you're not going to improve your skills if you're not even going to try. And Wario Land 2 is a really easy game to map compared to some on more modern system. If you're interested in mapping other games in the future, it would help to start small.

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 04:55:24 am »
Would it be OK if most of the top of the background is missing?

Offline Will

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 08:02:25 am »
If you want to give your maps a fine touch, do add the top background, but if you can't fill it in entirely it is best to leave out of the top background and focus on the room layout. Also on the other hand the top background would increase map size and file size, but those are minor concerns compared to what good the background does. You may not be able to explore the background, but if you take a look at my ZX Spectrum Prince of Persia maps you will see that I have placed walls where there are no rooms to make the level look neater, even Terra does the same. The choice is yours, whether you think the background is necessary or not.

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 01:26:46 pm »
It's not necessary really, I mean you're not gonna actually use the background in the game... it just looks odd... but I'll just do the main level layout.

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 04:23:21 pm »
Because I'm too lazy to make a thread... can I ask a favor... or favour... <_< if I post all the unassembled tiles of 'Deck Trek' from Donkey Kong Land, would anyone be able to reassemble them? I tried but it's almost impossible. For starters, there's 68 files, it's all negative for some reason, so you'll need to "Ctrl+I" in paint, to in-invert the image when ... or if you finish. And also, it's just all ... over the place. Not only do you have like the top half below the bottom half, and the left side next to the right side, so you have to move it over, you get some parts of the level ONTOP of other parts.

Just incase

http://h1.ripway.com/ukmidis/DeckTrek.zip

Offline Revned

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 05:50:15 pm »
The Ultimate Koopa Said:
Oh and I didn't edit the above post because if I just edit my posts, and, say it's like 2-3 weeks old, it'll still look like its however old it is, and people will probably ignore it.

Yes, but your previous post was only 3 hours old.

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 06:11:24 pm »
Is it possible to reply to the main point, and not just pick out that?

Offline Eggz

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 07:05:04 pm »
Now what I can't seem to understand is that you say you want to map this game, yet all you do is take the screens and piece of the levels and ask others to do the hard part for you. Mapping is doing both parts to the best of your ability, and that ability will only get better with practice.

So really, make up your mind. If you're going to map, great, but then try putting stuff together and submitting it for critique instead of constantly asking for tips if all you're going to do is pass it on to others.

---

Offline Revned

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 09:34:25 pm »
The Ultimate Koopa Said:
Is it possible to reply to the main point, and not just pick out that?

Sorry if I sounded rude. I'm not even sure what you uploaded. I looked at the images in the zip, and it would be easier for someone just to start over. Where did you get those "tiles"?

Offline Will

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 04:19:46 am »
It is impossible to use those images. They are definitely from a Gameboy game. I thought you were working the Gameboy Colour version of Wario Land 2. With such mix up and scatter the images are useless and no good for assembly. Why did you not map out the rooms from the top left corner to the bottom right corner? Would you specify precisely what the problem is with mapping a somewhat straightforward game?

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 06:59:48 am »
Those tiles are from the 4th level of Donkey Kong Land (Deck Trek), as I said

"Because I'm too lazy to make a thread..."

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 09:50:41 am »
The thing is, you normally start by mapping as much as you can by playing the game itself, and *then* you use the map browser to complete what you can't grab otherwise. Those images are completely unusable because they don't look like anything and there's no way to figure out how they go together.

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)