Author Topic: Nintendo Power - 1988-1996 cover games  (Read 140159 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
Re: Nintendo Power - 1988-1996 cover games
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 09:41:35 pm »
Thanks for those, and half of Nintendo World Cup as well.

Are you going to do the first stage, the driving stage, of Vice: Project Doom as well?

Offline Will

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 10:46:05 pm »
I'll tackle the driving stage last of all after the platformer stages.

EDIT: I have submitted the entire mapset of Super Spike V'Ball. I'll think another side project to do in the process doing Vice Project Doom.

ADDITIONAL EDIT: The remaining maps of Nintendo World Cup are done. Those two games are soon to be ticked off in a jiffy.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:38:08 am by Will »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 04:04:54 pm »
Both Nintendo World Cup and Super Spike V'Ball are complete and are up as of now.  Thanks, Will!

Apparently, both games were later rereleased in a single cartridge.  Interesting.  Was that a planned thing you wanted me to notice, or just a coincidence?

Crazy Hand cameo!  ...Okay, maybe not.  Crazy Hand has five fingers...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:13:06 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Will

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 03:14:38 am »
I had no idea that both Nintendo World Cup and Super Spike V'Ball were released together, so it is neither more or less than a coincidence. Normally I pick individual game roms instead of gamesets in roms. I am now currently working on Ivan Ironman Stewart's Super Off Road. It has 8 different race tracks.

EDIT: Ivan Ironman is complete. 8 in 1. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves looks promising.

ADDITIONAL EDIT: NES Play Action Football is now finished and submitted. That means there aren't any NES sports games left on the list to map.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:41:40 am by Will »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 08:03:44 pm »
Some good work today on the NES front by Will Mallia.  We've got the entirety of the four-player games Ivan Ironman Stewart's Super Off Road and NES Play Action Football, plus one more stage of Vice: Project Doom.

And yesterday and today, we got a couple stages of World 3 from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, thanks to Peardian, so that game is now halfway done.

For anyone wondering about these mid-week updates, it's because I foresee a busy weekend, so I'm trying to get as much updating done as possible before then.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:04:50 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Will

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 11:35:01 pm »
This to you Rick Bruns. You've done the whole of Gauntlet. Well are you interested in doing Gauntlet II? It would add to your collection of Gauntlet maps. If you're not so keen, is okay if I map the game?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 07:59:40 pm »
In today's update featuring games with really long names (coincidence?), we have a map of a basketball court from NBA Jam: Tournament Edition.  But that's not the final version of that map, is it?

Another strange coincidence...I was editing the directory file a few weeks back and replaced the word "name" in the HTML code to change it to uppercase, so it would read "NAME".  But this changed every game name with "Tournament" to "TourNAMEnt".  And I only noticed it now as I was scrolling around, copying and pasting the title of "NBA Jam: Tournament Edition" into all the systems that had it - and that also has "Tournament" in its title, whoa.

Along with the latest maps from two Zelda games that I had recently cleared in the games themselves, this has shaped up to be an interesting update today.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:00:46 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Will

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 11:02:56 pm »
Unfortunately the Basketball Court is incomplete because there are too many changing angles of the floor that it is impossible for me centralise the floor positions. Regarding the orange circles and purple area they change from team to team. And the adverts on either side of the stand change randomly every game.

EDIT: I have finished what Carl Heitman began, yep its Mortal Kombat II, because there were three arenas missing.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:06:58 pm by Will »

Offline snesmaster

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 06:05:23 pm »
This to you Rick Bruns. You've done the whole of Gauntlet. Well are you interested in doing Gauntlet II? It would add to your collection of Gauntlet maps. If you're not so keen, is okay if I map the game?

I have only done the first 30 levels for Gauntlet.  So I need to finish those at some point.  You can go ahead and Map Gauntlet 2.  The levels are random, so it won't be as straight forward at the first one.

Offline Will

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 08:03:37 am »
I have now finished Carl Heitman's work of Mortal Kombat 3. Originally the arcade game has 13 different battle arenas. The SNES has been reduced to 11 arenas since Smoke's stage is Pit III completely copied instead of altered somewhat and the Graveyard Stage has been removed entirely. Some sites say there are more arenas, but do not confuse Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 with this game. Accessing the Hidden Portal requires entering a Kombat Kode.

EDIT: I have submitted the final stage map of Vice: Project Doom. Only two driving stages remain.

ADDITIONAL EDIT: I have submitted one of the driving stages of Vice: Project Doom. That leaves one final map to do in the game. Also I have finished the first Track & Field game even though it doesn't make its mark here.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:25:11 am by Will »

Offline Will

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 08:23:34 am »
The last driving stage of Vice: Project Doom is finished and has been submitted and that therefore finishes off another NES game.

EDIT: I have redone the basketball court of NBA Jam Tournament Edition and I have mapped the easiest of battle stages of the game "Weapon Lord".
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 01:21:28 am by Will »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 09:54:23 am »
Apparently I'd already marked Battletoads as complete, which it wasn't...until now!  Hooray!  One of the most infamous NES games ever, in all its glory.  All of Turbo Tunnel (and other vehicular stages)!  And look, The Revolution stage is animated!  Awesome job, TerraEsperZ!

Looking at the original Nintendo Power issue, June 1991, you can see that Battletoads can claim the distinction of having the largest amount of space dedicated to a single NES game - 36 pages, and this was back when the issues were consistently 100 pages!  This includes some comic pages, not to mention a prologue comic in the previous issue.  I would say it's the zenith of coverage of a single NES game, and yet, on the next page, as if to signal the end of an era, it's the preview of the then-upcoming Super NES (which turns 20 years old next month).

I apparently forgot to mention last week that we have another map of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, from Peardian, the exclamation-laden World 4-1: GO! GO! MARIO!! stage, which takes us over halfway through the game.  These might come in handy since I was planning to replay this game, which is more likely now that the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program means that us 3DS early adopters get twenty free Virtual Console games, including the GBA version of this game.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:00:57 am by JonLeung »

Offline Will

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 08:58:56 am »
Today I have submitted a lot of "Killer Instinct" stages. I'm not sure how many stages exist in the game or what their precise stage name is.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 08:02:15 am »
Just about forgot to mark off that Killer Instinct is complete.  Thanks, Will Mallia!  If anyone's played the arcade game, you'd know it doesn't have "the same #%@!ing graphics!" as the arcade version does, like one of my favourite commercials of all time claims.  Despite that, it's still a competent conversion, which I've played a lot of myself, that when playing the arcade version, I surprise myself with the moves and combos I can pull off.  Yep, it has "the same #%@!ing moves!" but I guess I'm just not used to the bigger characters and more frames of animation, it almost feels like I'm playing a different game and yet already know what to do.

I often forget to mention in this topic when Peardian submits maps for Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.  A little shameful when you consider that is (Baby) Mario's first adventure (I think it comes before Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time or any of the spin-off games, if they count at all) - and yet one of the few (and yet big) Mario games that have left to be mapped, and Link's first adventure (well, the Hero Of Time version of Link) - or, you know, that all 3D maps are exciting and that Ocarina Of Time is often considered the best game of all time.  >_<  So, I'm sure there are new maps in both games since the last time I remarked about them in this topic...  EDIT: Okay, there haven't been new Yoshi's Island maps, but I'm sure I'll forget again...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:52:15 pm by JonLeung »

Offline Will

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2011, 05:47:14 am »
I now have finished WeaponLord. That makes two Street Fighter games the last fighting games in this section.