Author Topic: Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament (MD)  (Read 171793 times)

Offline Maxim

RE: Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament (MD)
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2007, 06:39:27 am »
Tiny Treehouse - so much transparency makes it hard to do, I'm waiting to get the source to Gens KMod to make it fill in the "blank" parts with a non-black colour which will make it a lot easier.

Water Chase - can't get all the graphics for the plants at the edges, although I didn't try making it scroll-wrap yet.

Pinball Panic - uses layers differently which makes it impossible to turn off the parallax. Animated track makes it hard for the autostitcher. May need to be done the hard way.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2007, 07:05:02 am »
Ball Chase

User posted image

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1381/micromachinesiiballchashu0.png

Now I have to go do some housework before my wife kills me.

Offline Maxim

Offline The Ultimate Koopa

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2007, 04:01:06 pm »
I tried doing "Picnic Problems" from MM96... but 2 things...

1. How would you go about getting that part in the middle?

2. How do you do the parts round the edge?

Here's the map:

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7573/mm96picnicproblemsjo4.png

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2007, 04:07:11 pm »
.... I may also need help with doing the thumbnails... <_<

Offline Maxim

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2007, 04:27:56 pm »
You need special permission/EXP/gold/something to post images, using <pic> tags.

How to get the middle? Try driving as close to it as you can (ie. into the water) and then try to build it up from existing tiles (the game is based on 32x32 blocks, make sure to find the right grid alignment). The parts you can't see, well just make them up, it's the best you can do without some hacking.

The edges? The game world wraps, just cut off the extra bits you can see on the left and right. Or did you mean the top and bottom? Just drive over there and re-capture it.

If you use a mask, you can avoid those numbers appearing without impacting on the map produced.

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2007, 07:47:45 am »
No, I didn't disable that...

How do you disable paralax... thingy?

Oh and... I did almost manage to successfully map "Hover Havoc"... except I went in the opposite direction, done complete left side, the bottom, and the right side... then went down the right side of the middle, but missed the top and the rest of the middle... XD....

Then I somehow got stuck in that rake thingy... (I even managed to miss just a small corner of a flowerpot near the bottom lol)...

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7735/mm96hoverhavocyq8.th.png

Offline marioman

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2007, 08:02:25 am »
Good job TUK.  I am very happy to see you giving mapping a try.  Hopefully you will gain enough experience to fill some more of your own requests.

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2007, 08:29:11 am »
I have done a few maps in the past, which are all on  VGMaps.com, I think.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2007, 09:54:36 am »
Gens KMod -> CPU -> Debug -> Layers. In most cases, layer B seems to be the "floor" (the "water" in this case). However, it replaces it with blackness (notice my tutorial video) so you need to take care to fill it back in correctly. It ought to be a minor hack to make Gens KMod fill it in with another colour, I just need to get hold of the source first.

Until then, a lot of the time, alignment with the 32x32 grid is enough to select the right black pixels most of the time, for the rest you need to look carefully at screenshots without those layers disabled. The tile slicer/splicer might help there, but I don't use it myself.

For these beach ones, I magic-wand the water areas, then expand the selection by 5 pixels (in Paint Shop Pro), then do a colour-keyed replacement with a pattern brush based on the 32x32 water pattern.

I rarely complete a whole map in one shot, as shown in the tutorial. Instead, I merge multiple passes into each other, moreso in cases where autostitching fails a lot.

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2007, 11:46:25 am »
I tried disabling Layer 3 while doing Rim Runners, but it still turned out like crap:

https://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rimrunnersbx9.png

Also, something I noticed about the MM2 ROM I downloaded... Pipe Patience (#15) has been replaced with Bricks N Trees (???):

http://img159.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bricksntreesvi7.png

Offline Maxim

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2007, 01:04:38 pm »
It's a good example of a stage that doesn't autostitch easily because there's vast expanses of solid colour. If you use a big mask (to avoid tyre smoke escaping) and a 100% match requirement, it might work.

You might have a beta version of the ROM, which may well have slightly different levels. Or it might be a lame text hack, there's a lot of them around.

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2007, 01:30:59 pm »
No, it's not a text hack. I've actually played the level, and it's the Bricks N Trees level. It's the 24th race of Challenge, which, as you can guess, is on the same kind of track that the 4x4's are usually on (i.e. Trees)

Offline Maxim

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2007, 12:51:20 am »
I map when I have time! I was at work until after 8 last night.

Here's my first stitch of Rim Runners, it had to be masked and stitched (slowly) at 100%. It's still impossible to get all the graphics. It is not the same map as Bathtub Burnoff but it can be used to "fix" that one.

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2007, 05:15:44 am »
Cool... I'll wait.... <_<