Author Topic: Mega Man 9 Confirmed!?  (Read 82708 times)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
RE: Mega Man 9 Confirmed!?
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2008, 03:00:40 pm »
Is Europe not getting it on the Wii?

Even if a PC version is available, I'm likely to get the Wii version.  (On the other hand, my brother and I decided to get Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People on the PC instead of the Wii...I should probably play some of that...)

At least a PC version opens up the possibility of it being mapped.  :)

Offline Ryan Ferneau

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2008, 01:37:44 am »
TerraEsperZ Said:
I think it's too bad that Capcom are focusing almost solely on nostalgia in making this game. Since they're using MM2 as the game to live up to, they're ditching the mega buster and the slide, and apparently going back to a single 5 stages fortress. Oh yeah, and the story is really pathetic (even more childish than all the other ones; not only do people believe Light responsible, but Wily is a free man despite all he's done and people trust him!?).

I guess it was inevitable that, after so long, my idea of a great MM9 wouldn't measure up to the real thing, but I still wished they had gone full out and made this *the* definite 8-bit Megaman game.

I would have liked a more believable plot (not necessarily a dark one, but at least consistent with those that came before), the mega buster and the slide (non-negotiable), an intro level, having a plot twist occur after beating four robot masters (maybe retain being able to access all eight from the start though), have some hidden secrets and playable characters, and better graphics (they're not bad right now, but it looks a bit dull right now, which is too bad after the bright and vibrant stages in MM5 with color cycling and all). In short, I *liked* some of the changes they made over the years, and I'm sad to see them go just because *old school is better* according to some.

Asking for much? I know I am, and make no mistake, I'll still be buying this game, if only because disappointing but adequate classic Megaman is better than no classic Megaman at all. Maybe I'll be presently surprised and there'll be ton of neat stuff nobody was expecting, but I prefer to have no expectations at all so I won't be let down in case they fail to materialize.

And before some of you reply and state how some of the things I want are *bad* or *stupid*, well I'm just stating my opinion. It's the best way I can find to vent my disappointment (heck, I even loved the 32 bit graphic style from MM8 and MM&B and would have loved more).

---

Current projects: Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)

Actually, MegaMan's weapon was supposed to have been called the Mega Buster all along.  It was in Mega Man 4 that he gained the New Mega Buster which had the charge-up ability that you're thinking of.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2008, 06:56:28 am »
Someone's sent me maps of Mega Man 9 already (o_0), though I haven't looked at them yet.  Concrete Man's and Tornado Man's stages, I believe.

If they're the real deal they'll be up this weekend.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2008, 08:08:28 am »
Oh come on Ryan, everyone knows what "Mega Buster" usually refers to, you're just arguing for the heck of it :P

Anyway, at least the soundtrack is really, really good, despite them re-using a few old tunes without any change (even Mega Man 4 slightly altered the Stage Selected tune).

---

Current projects: Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2008, 01:52:24 pm »
I heard part of the soundtrack on a YouTube video earlier this week, and I thought the Robot Master music wasn't that great.  That's just me though.  I would've preferred something more upbeat.  And not with a long build-up, either, since most boss fights are quick if you know which weapon to use...

Though sometimes I wonder if I just like Mega Man II and Mega Man III music (and the other parts of those two games, I suppose) simply because they're the games I replayed the most, and associate simpler childhood times with them, rather than appreciating any skill of the composer(s)...maybe?

'Cause I recall that there have been other good Mega Man music tracks except that I can't actually recall the tune.  I think I just like Tornado Man's theme because it was used in the trailer and evokes memories of that exciting reveal...

Offline Revned

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2008, 02:06:21 pm »
JonLeung Said:
Someone's sent me maps of Mega Man 9 already (o_0), though I haven't looked at them yet.  Concrete Man's and Tornado Man's stages, I believe.

If they're the real deal they'll be up this weekend.

And... how did they manage that? They probably just watched a bunch of videos and reconstructed them as best they could.

Offline marioman

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2008, 02:25:39 pm »
They may be from the ROM hacks that are floating around the 'Net.  Not that it would make them any less official I guess - the level design and graphics are the same.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2008, 05:50:14 pm »
To answer your question, Revned:

TenguMan Said:
Hi again! I'm still TenguMan :-P

I red the topic about MM9 in your forum, but unfornately I have an invalid mail to subscribe myself....

so i thought to answer some questions about my maps... :-P

to create them, first of all I used the existing screenshots of the game, so I could recreate the 16x16 pieces that compose the stage, pixel by pixel..yes, it tooks me much time, but it was funny! :P

Then, watching the videos of two complete gameplay (they're from the E3 of Los Angeles), I made the maps, using copy/paste for the single pieces... ...boring? :P

I hope you like them.....bye bye!!

Ciao! Tengu

And I finally did look at them.  They're really good, especially considering the method used.  Maybe I'll try for a mid-week update after all...

I guess I'll have to create a Wii page.  Or WiiWare?  Hmmm.  Though it's available for the PC in Europe, supposedly, as well as XBLA and PSN, since everyone seems to be looking forward to the WiiWare version and Capcom supposedly said that the WiiWare version is the definitive version, I suppose the Wii section is where it'll go.  :D

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2008, 08:16:14 pm »
Okay, the two Mega Man 9 maps are up.  As of several minutes ago...

Offline marioman

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2008, 05:36:01 am »
But did the news page didn't get updated...  Just pointing it out.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2008, 07:07:19 am »
Sure it did.  I uploaded the current news page the same time I uploaded the maps...

Maybe hit Refresh?

If you're wondering...the shameless plug for the other Mega Man games on the Wii page will likely only be temporary.  I don't expect to make it a concrete part of that page.

Offline marioman

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2008, 04:28:06 am »
OK, I am seeing the update now.  I did refresh the page earlier, but the update didn't show up.  Oh well...

Offline Revned

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2008, 02:09:46 pm »
Well, I have it and it seems pretty awesome. I've only had about 25 minutes' play time, but I've already taken down Galaxy Man. It has enough added to the original formula that it might even make TerraEsperZ happy.

Offline TerraEsperZ

« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2008, 02:39:28 pm »
The soundtrack was great enough that I went out and bought a wireless router for the express purpose of buying and playing Mega Man 9.

As for making me happy, well that remains to be seen; I intend to be without mercy in my evaluation of it. I've bitched to much about it so far to back out now and risk losing face >:(

:D Nah, just kidding. I've made my peace with this game not being the one I've been dreaming of for years, but that's the case whenever a sequel takes too long to materialize. It looks very challenging, which is what Inty was going for.

I just hope it does well enough for more to be made, which might incorporate features from more recent games like Bass and (slightly) more serious plots. Or go the Mega Man Powered Up route, and allow playing as the Robot Masters (it would have been great for this game, since they're all Light creations).

---

Current projects: Metal Storm (NES), Clock Tower (SNES), Ristar-The Shooting Star (Gen), Sonic The Hedgehog (Gen), Sonic CD (Sega CD), Mega Man Zero (GBA), Battletoads (NES), Bucky O'Hare (NES)
Current project that are on hold because job burnout :
-Drill Dozer (GBA)
-Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis)
-Naya's Quest (PC)

Offline marioman

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2008, 06:01:30 pm »
Downloadable content list.

I wonder who the secret boss is...