Author Topic: Mega Man Maps  (Read 568924 times)

Offline marioman

RE: Mega Man Maps
« Reply #210 on: June 24, 2008, 05:30:59 am »
Lookin' good RT-55J.  Keep up the good work!

Concerning the name Rockman, he is called that because the game works like rock-paper-scissors.  Each boss is weak to one weapon, and strong against one weapon.  (Guts Man beats Cut Man - rock beats scissors.  Get it?)  I cannot remember exactly why they changed it to Mega Man for the western release, but I believe that it had something to do with a singer who called himself Rock Man or something.  Can't remember for sure though.

Offline Will

« Reply #211 on: June 24, 2008, 06:30:59 am »
You've got that one right marioman. But the company or someone involved with Capcom got that one wrong. Not all elements are scientifically (if not in the game) weak and useless against another. For example Woodman is useless against Fireman because fire burns wood, but if Woodman is made of Eucalyptus then he is slightly fireproof and could drown some of Fireman's flames with his heavy wood. Iceman beats Fireman by flame extinguishing, Fireman should be able to vice versa making water evaporatore and ice melt. Elecman beats Iceman by making water electronic and water is supposed to jam the electric current. Woodman beats Elecman being made of a material which not an electricity component but are there any side effects on Woodman? The Rock, Paper, Scissors method in real life doesn't work that way. But Capcom has long ago already released the game, so that's final. Besides I don't have to take some the game's incorrections seriously. I just love science talk when it comes to Energy, Life and Matter.

Offline Maxim

« Reply #212 on: June 24, 2008, 07:58:46 am »
I think there's a good chance this is why: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockman_(comics)

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: June 24, 2008, 08:38:34 am »
I'm pretty sure it's Rock as in "rock 'n' roll".  His sister is named Roll, and I believe the opening of Mega Man 4/IV reconfirms that Mega Man's name is Rock.

Sure, he doesn't seem like a rock star.  But for some reason this series has musically-themed character names.  If Roll was more involved in the games, "Rock & Roll" would make more sense, but whatever.  Then Proto Man is named "Blues" in Japan.  Ironic since he's not the blue one, but it likely refers to the type of music.  Don't forget Bass (Forte), Treble (Gospel), Beat, and the little-known Tango.  (I think in the Xtreme games there's also a character named Midi...)

Not sure how Rush, Fliptop (Eddie), Otto, Duo or King fit in, though...

As to why he's "Mega" Man and not Rock Man outside of Japan, probably people would think of the other kind of rock.  Maybe in Japanese, "rock" (as in stone) and "rock" (as in rock 'n' roll) aren't the same word?  "Mega" sounds cool, and alliteration is apparently catchy.

Offline Will

« Reply #214 on: June 24, 2008, 10:38:27 am »
That makes even better sense. Rock can be a name. In the Fatal Fury Legacy, the archnemesis of the hero Terry's called Geese Howard has a son called Rock Howard. I still have a preference to the american names being more scientific as they programs and not people but a personality. Anyway I have managed to follow Megaboy's technique using a lot of cutting and pasting from my screenshots and the first power plant network section is complete so I finally move on. But don't expect the power plant to be entirely finished by the end of the week, for I have other games in mind of progressing, Mario & Wario is one of them.

Offline Eggz

« Reply #215 on: June 24, 2008, 10:44:48 am »
If we're going to get into the argument that "this element can beat this one because..." I think the biggest culprit of that is Pokemon, but in both instances they just use the most basic properties of the elements do that the average person can grasp the concept instead of feeling left behind in the gameplay because they can't think of all the application for one thing in particular.

And then as for manes of certain characters names not fitting into a certain theme or what not, eventually they had to run out of idea :P It always happens. Either that or they might have though ahead and thought that having too many characters named after musical terms might just not fit so well in an action shooter... It worked well for Eternal Sonata, but then the whole game was built off the concept of everything is influenced by music.

And I'll leave foray into unrelated topics there. :)

---

This looks like a job for Science!
This looks like a job for Science!

Offline marioman

« Reply #216 on: June 24, 2008, 07:45:48 pm »
I don't want to drag this thread any more off-topic than it already is, but let me make a few comments.

Maxim is probably right about the Rock Man comic book character.  I remembered that Capcom said that there was already a Rock Man, but I couldn't remember what it was.

I never said that the boss weaknesses had to make sense - I was just pointing out that Capcom made the underlying system work like rock paper scissors.  Most of them don't make sense, but, then again, paper beating rock doesn't make the most sense either.  It is the system that is important.

There was an interview with Keiji Inafune (the creator of Mega Man) a while ago, and a seem to remember that he said that the term Rockman came from rock paper scissors.  The musical references came when Capcom decided that Rockman needed a female sidekick.  I wish that I could find that interview and make sure that I got that right.

His human form is interchangeably called Rock and Mega in western regions though...

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: June 26, 2008, 05:31:15 pm »
I thought anyone calling him "Mega" did so out of endearment or as a short form or nickname, not that they mean his name is actually "Mega".  That would be kind of silly.

Then again, in Japan, he's "Rock" and "Rockman", so I suppose that isn't any more sillier or illogical based on that.  I just haven't heard that term of only "Mega" much to think anyone meant for that to be a name on its own.

And I just figured that he didn't really have a "human" form.  He may not have originally been built with weapons, but now that he does, I don't see how he's any more or less a robot with or without his helmet.  That'd be like saying if I took off or put on my glasses you'd have to call me by a different name.  I'm not Clark Kent.

Offline Rew

« Reply #218 on: June 27, 2008, 08:15:36 am »
So when is it officially time to add Mega Man 9 to the list in the original post? ;0)

---

"So this is what it's like..."

- Spark Mandrill
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline marioman

« Reply #219 on: June 27, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »
When I'm good and ready.  (Or when I figure out how many maps there are in it.)  Can WiiWare games even be mapped?

Frenkel just PM'd me and said that he hasn't made any progress on Mega Man III PC, but he said that he may look at it again.  I hope that he does so we can finish off those Classic games.

Offline Rew

« Reply #220 on: June 27, 2008, 08:56:46 pm »
Why wouldn't one be able to map WiiWare games? (Note that I'm only a mapping fan myself--never actually mapped before.) Is it because of a lack of ROM or something along those lines?

---

"So this is what it's like..."

- Spark Mandrill
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl board on GameFAQs:
The only Fox News we're interested in is breakthroughs in his metagame.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: June 27, 2008, 09:21:01 pm »
People have hacked and cracked Virtual Console games, so I don't see why someone couldn't eventually figure out how to map Mega Man 9 if they really wanted to.  (WiiWare, Virtual Console, probably same diff.)  But it likely won't be as conventional as current mapping techniques.

If it can be dumped, cracked, and then converted into a NES ROM that works on any current NES emulator, then I think someone would.  For example, I know there are non-homebrew re-release NES ROMs with copyright dates in the 2000s, 'cause they were somehow dumped from some game at the time that had them as a bonus (Animal Crossing comes to mind)...

Offline Will

« Reply #222 on: June 27, 2008, 10:34:47 pm »
You'd be lucky if you could do Wii maps ripped from a game. Hacking graphics is not really a reliable technique in making game maps mostly because of the lower graphic quality and lacking texture sharpness. For example Megaboy's maps were defintely hacked judging by the lesser number of colours and no background. It would save us the trouble if Mega man 9 were to appear less recent consoles like N64 or Gamecube, but I don't think that's going to happen. For the time being let us turn our attention on the remaining classic series.

Offline Revned

« Reply #223 on: June 28, 2008, 09:55:54 am »
JonLeung Said:
If it can be dumped, cracked, and then converted into a NES ROM that works on any current NES emulator, then I think someone would.

Ain't gonna happen. It's fairly clear that they aren't using NES code, what with the 3D effects. They're just making it look like an NES game. As for mapping it, I don't think the results will be too pretty, at least for a long time. The Wii has analog graphics output, so capturing pristine images isn't possible, to my knowledge.

Offline marioman

« Reply #224 on: June 28, 2008, 03:54:05 pm »
As I said before, we can only hope for the PC version.