Author Topic: JonLeung's Requests  (Read 46456 times)

Offline Jackster

Re: JonLeung's Requests
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 05:11:59 pm »
I was super happy to actually beat one of the CD-i Zelda games TBH (unlike my first attempt many years ago when I use to own an actual CD-i myself). But yeah, I do plan on making more maps for the CD-i when I get the chance, but first I need to finish up Shining Wisdom.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 05:26:50 pm by Jackster »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2020, 11:45:20 am »
I'm super happy someone finally mapped one of the first two CD-i Zelda games.

Those two games might have horrible animations but the background graphics are gorgeous!

That's true.  On one hand, the games are maligned for their weird animated sequences, combined with them being for the unpopular and otherwise almost entirely unknown CD-i (especially in contrast to the very mainstream and very popular PlayStation of which its origins are linked) and the bizarreness that Nintendo would lend out the rights of their otherwise incredibly-polished and popular AAA franchises ever, not for one, but MULTIPLE games.  The lack of availability of an actual CD-i adds even more intrigue to this, as does Nintendo's pretending that this never happened, so most people only know it for what makes it weird.  (Sort of like the Star Wars Holiday Special, which is infamously bad, even joked as such by many people even if they haven't experienced it, though it does have its place in canon, and a LEGO "sequel" that comes out today on Disney+.)

But on the other hand, the face value of the maps themselves are that they are actually quite cool.  Imagine, these were done by an artist or artists who are no longer limited to building worlds out of tiles.  While you can tell there is still a need to create traversable landscapes, they went wild with the colours and shapes (compared to the "blocky" nature of tile-based graphics).  At this point, pre-Ocarina Of Time, there were only a handful of Zelda games to reference, plus their art, and likely some inspiration from The Legend Of Zelda cartoon segment on the Friday episodes of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show.  Considering that, I don't think they did bad at all.  I guess now we're used to Zelda games being all over the place with their style, so this actually isn't too weird, really.  I like them!  Still have to really play them (sheesh, what kind of Zelda fan am I?), but I can at least say, and with Jackster's maps more confidently so, that this at least looks good!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2020, 09:13:35 pm »
Jackster's submission of ripped maps from Zelda's Adventure is exciting.  As a Zelda fan, I'll have to play this game one day.

Offline Jackster

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2020, 11:26:21 pm »
Thanks! Let me tell you all that that Tolemac map took FOREVER to save. The original PSD file was almost 160 MB big and would take 10-20 seconds to save it every time. There were even times when my computer monitor will black out while it's in the middle of saving. It was kind of frightening and frustrating.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2020, 09:53:32 pm »
Jackster's submission of ripped maps from Zelda: The Wand Of Gamelon completes the Triforce of CD-i Zelda games!

To think this was all in the span of only two weeks, as a fortnight ago we first got Link: The Faces Of Evil maps, but now have the unmarked maps of that as well.

Thanks so much, Jackster!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 12:01:56 am by JonLeung »

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2020, 07:54:58 am »
Relatively new contributor Jackster can do more than just CD-i games, and submitted maps from Kirby: Nightmare In Dream Land (GBA), the remake of the NES game, Kirby's Adventure.

There are a few Kirby games still not mapped, so I'm glad that Jackster's Map Projects topic shows that he plans to do three more!

Offline G.E.R.

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2021, 11:43:34 pm »
I returned to our community after long time break and read all discussions on the forum.

First, I want to thank JonLeung for recomendation
If you haven't played Kirby: Super Star before, you should!  It's one of the better Kirby games, if not the best (though the DS remake, Kirby: Super Star Ultra, has even more stuff).
The game is really interesting, I like it.

So, what is games is need to rip now? May be it need to some Kirby's game, or Sega Genesis Mini games?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 12:27:07 am »
Jackster has done it again - another Kirby GBA game under his belt - this time, it's Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (GBA).  I love Metroidvanias!

George s loves arcade games and has finished Dragon Buster (Arcade).  I hear it repeats some rounds after Round 12.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2021, 11:49:49 pm »
Jackster has completed a non-Kirby game... though it's cute and colourful all the same.  (Hey, that rhymes!)  We now have SmartBall (Super NES).

Funny thing is, as I was copying the Skyblazer table nearby to make the SmartBall one, coincidentally it turned out to be the same developer - Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc.!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2021, 10:21:10 pm »
G.E.R. has been a busy bee and handled a number of requests today, including Rockin' Kats, Moon Crystal (J), and Wai Wai World 2: SOS!! Paseri Jou (J) for the NES/Famicom and Contra: Hard Corps for the Genesis.  And also Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine to help with the Sega Genesis Mini request topic.

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2021, 04:57:41 pm »
Jackster knocks out another Kirby game, one that I'm surprised we didn't have any maps for until now, Kirby's Dream Land 3 (Super NES)!  Love the tips for getting each of the Heart Stars!  5-2 features Samus Aran and the Metroids from the Metroid series, and there are other cameos like the Japanese characters Donbe and Hikari.  Thanks for doing this so thoroughly!

zagato blackfist took out my only three ColecoVision requests (as of now, or rather, just now, since they're now complete)...  Donkey Kong (our family's first video game!), Front Line and Jumpman Junior, two of my brother's favourites on this classic console.  Thanks so much for the memories!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2021, 04:57:15 pm »
Cleeem has taken care of the rare Game Boy Color game, Shantae (GBC)!  It has since spawned several sequels, but for a while it really felt like a one-off cult classic.  Limited Run Games has recently rereleased this as an actual playable GBC cartridge, so at least a few more people might be experiencing this (unless they are just collectors that buy things just to never open them).  In any case, thanks, Cleeem!

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2021, 10:36:41 pm »
G.E.R. must be trying to get into my good graces by mapping two GBA RPGs... Golden Sun: The Lost Age and Mother 3 (J)!  Thanks so much for these portable epics!

Offline Jackster

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2021, 04:59:55 pm »
Is it me or are the Mother 3 maps missing on the site?

Offline JonLeung

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2021, 09:29:19 pm »
Refresh with Ctrl+F5 or Shift+F5.

G.E.R. has bunched the main Mother 3 maps into large "A", "B", "C" and "D" maps.  Then the rest are mostly in-game maps.  Are there any maps of these that are not showing up for you?